Molting causing these behaviour changes?

missmychicks

Songster
12 Years
May 10, 2011
One of our hens has yet to lay, but has recently stopped roosting (in both run and coop), has started sleeping in a nesting box (though she no longer goes into the coop with the others, we are having to put her inside in the evenings) and kind of separating herself from the other two hens (who are both laying). All this started abruptly last week. Not noticing many dropped feathers, but I've checked for everything else I can think of (not eggbound, no crop issues, eating and drinking, no waterbelly, no mites). She is a "spring chicken (about 30 week old barnyard mix, looks like an EE). I'm at a loss for this behavior. :frow

Sounds like bullying going on. All 3 grew up together?
At 30 weeks she should be laying although might not til spring.

How big is your coop and run? How long is their roost? Where is the nest box located/height compared to roost?
You could try adding another roost lower than the one now. The other 2 will prefer the higher one and she would likely pick the lower to avoid them.

It wouldn't be a huge problem her being in the nestbox at night except for cleanup every morning but the bigger concern is if the other 2 are bullying her now they are also driving her out of the nestbox so they can lay. Hence, now she's got no where to get away from them.
Being a spring hatch she won't molt til next year, so it's not that. Coop size and/or bullying is my thought.
If it gets worse ie. (Blood drawn) I would park a small cage in the coop for her to have her own space. I've put a divider up on the roost before also made of anything (cardboard) just to block line of sight if its roost time bullying only.
Pics of coop/run and hens would help here in this situation. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
No bullying at all (I've been watching them like. hawk. Wait, this is about chickens, that sounds creepy as hell! lol). She hangs with them at the waterer and feeder, but then goes off by herself to preen, dustbathe and hang out by herself. I'll try to figure out how to post pics- they have a good amount of space, and lower roosting bars.

Back
Top Bottom