Molting Chicken has become off balance...

catbox

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Hello...first time post:

One of our chickens started molting a few weeks back and has become off balance.
Not sure what to make of this since her balance was fine last week.

Any info would be appreciated!

Eric

It's possible she's weak. Try giving her a handful of cat crunchies a day, some electrolytes or Avia charge or poultry boost type stuff and see if that helps. Also, you might want to check her for mites and look to see if the bottom of her feet are ok. Has she been wormed recently/ever?
I guess I'm saying, try to rule out the easier problems first, then move up to infection/diesease.

Are her eyes clear & bright? Is she eating? What is she eating?
How does her poo look?

I know it's a barrage of questions, but it makes it easier to narrow it down for you....

btw, welcome to BYC!

Thanks, Jenny appreciated the dry cat food! I will head out for some electrolytes
this afternoon as well as give our vet a ring who specializes in birds and cats. So far she has bright eyes and her poop seems normal. The weather has also changed up here in Oregon and I feel like she may be a bit chilled too.

E

Hi, catbox.

How's your chicken doing? What did the vet say?

My little white leghorn is also experiencing a loss of balance - which began during her first adult molt. I have noticed this chicken more than the others uses her tail like a rudder - she turns left, her tail also goes to the left, etc. Now that she's lost all but one tail feather (poor thing!) she will occasionally walk low, like she's halfway to sitting down, before proceeding - seems like she's trying to regain balance.

She seems perfectly healthy in every other way. I have her on Aviacharge. Maybe I'll try additional protein as well.

Back
Top Bottom