Molting or picking (pics included)

hockeygirl56

Songster
Apr 21, 2011
Allenton, MI
My girls have been losing feathers since Oct and now I've noticed only one of them is still fully feathered. I haven't seen her picking on anybody, but I want to get opinions. This is a picture of the worst of them next to the possible picker.

87893_121411172718.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Some of my girls get to looking like that from roos and some from being picked. They say if you remove the culprit for a period of time it helps, but for me I purchase a vitamin supplement designed to give them what they get from feathers. I also spray the girls with either bluekote or bitter apple to help put and end to it. Course then I see the little monster got pluck from the roos. Round and round and round we go where it stops no one knows. No wonder if feel like I'm running in circles.
barnie.gif

They're molting. They're not even molting that dramatically. They're young, yes? I believe they are dropping their juvie feathers for their adult plumage. No picking going on there.

That is pecking!! I had a hen that would pull feathers out of the other girls and their backs all looked like this...I would suggest giving them some extra protein, maybe a flock block for them to be entertained with. If all else fails use the pinless peepers on the one thats picking at the others.

I agree this is pecking. Molting is usually not so evident on the low back. Rooster loving looks a little different too. But if these are young birds, I think it is in transition into grown up feathers. Game bird crumbles have 20+% protein. Maybe use a bag for them and find out who the picker is and order her a brand new pair of "pinless peepers".

Quote:
they're little blinders that go on the chickens nostrils. It keeps them from seeing things directly in front of them. And yes, they can still eat and drink just fine.

9504_img_4225.jpg

9504_img_4223.jpg

With them being 8 months, does the diagnosis change more to molting than pecking?
fl.gif
I really don't want to have to put that thing on anyone's face if I don't have to...

It's not the age but the location of the missing feathers that points more toward picking than molting. In my experience, a molt is seen more around the neck, wing, and chest area. Lots of rooster lovin' leaves bare spots from the base of the neck down toward the tail. I'm thinking if you'll just sit and watch your flock for a while each day, you'll spot your picker unless it's only happening in the coop. Over-crowding will cause feather picking. How many birds do you have in what size coop?

Back
Top Bottom