Molting?

marilyngurl22

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2015
My chickens (9 of them) are 7 months old and have been laying since they were 4 1/2 months. About three-four weeks ago the egg production went from 6-8 a day to 0-3 a day. A local farmer told me they were likely starting to molt because of the time of year (we are in NC). I have noticed a few feathers coming loose and a few in the coop. But nothing significant. I've read that they don't usually molt until a bit older (16-18 months). Molting? What can I do to help them get through it and increase egg production? Protein sources you give? Is layer feed still what I should feed them (they free range too)? They are going through food like nobody's business! I haut want to make sure nothing else is going on and that I'm doing all I can! Thanks!

I think very early born chicks can molt their first fall. Mine did. They were February chicks and molted in September. Some then resumed laying in early January, others a bit later. They need a decent protein level to rebuild the feathers. I give mine additional sunflower seeds.

Last edited:
Not sure if a early born bird will molt their first fall or not ya just never know with live animals.
I did have one pullet full molt at about 9 months last year, quit laying for 2-3 months.

Sunflower seeds do give a protein boost but also high in fat,
so a variety of higher protein foods for molting is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom