Molting????

daidyducks

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Ontario,CA
I dont know what it is or how it happens but from what I have read its when ducks/chickens get a new set of feathers?
I believe thats whats happening to my Pekin. I have a feeling its my drake because my babygirl's feathers are messed up after an accident (attack)
I went to our backyard and the yard is filled with LARGE feathers everywhere! he doesnt seem to look featherless but I have a feeling that the large feathers are from him since he is a bigger duck than my female...
heres a picture of some of the feathers i was able to pick up! keep in mind....theres more.

Could it be molting? my brother thought that maybe he has an itch haha but I dont know what it could be

I dont know what it is or how it happens but from what I have read its when ducks/chickens get a new set of feathers?
I believe thats whats happening to my Pekin. I have a feeling its my drake because my babygirl's feathers are messed up after an accident (attack)
I went to our backyard and the yard is filled with LARGE feathers everywhere! he doesnt seem to look featherless but I have a feeling that the large feathers are from him since he is a bigger duck than my female...
heres a picture of some of the feathers i was able to pick up! keep in mind....theres more.

Could it be molting? my brother thought that maybe he has an itch haha but I dont know what it could be
My ducks don't molt till fall but my goose is dropping feathers left and right. probably molt, as long as he is other wise healthy.

My pekin is molting also, but she hasn't lost any of the really big feathers like you are showing. Well I guess I should say she's molting because I have never really went through a molt so I can't swear that's what is happening. It seems like she is losing a lot of down feathers, they are every where.

My Pekin just got done with her first molting, she had feathers everywhere. Then right when she was about done my mallards started. Then add the chickens lol My yard looks like we had a pillow fight with ducks and chickens. Oh and DH mowes the yard and the feathers scatter even more lol. I think we have more feathers than grass.

Yours are some huge feathers though, how old his your pekin?

Back
Top Bottom