Moment of silence. And how do I keep this from happening

Heavy snow.

I live in Michigan, we get lots of wet snow, lots of dry snow. I think the little bit of framing helped. But, I also think the poster's hoop is too wide at the base.

I figured out what happened. I’m a dumbass, and we only put one lag bolt holding the front and back 2x4s to the poles, causing the pole to twist from the pressure of the bent panel, and the snow. Now I have 3 bent cattle panels. Anyone know how to bend them back? Or should I just straighten it, and put more screws in, and just have a flat wall?

IMG_20191126_065717.jpg

The only supports on this one were the 2x6 base frame external to the panels and the door frame. The side on the building was held on with tiny clips made from plumbers strap and secured with very short screws to the siding.
It saw several 3' snows before I got tired of shoveling paths to get into the run.

Most people are using hoop coops with some sort of framing on the ends, such as for doors or even just a fencing endcap. If it butts up against that coop structure, I'd fix it to the wall on the one end, maybe using plumber's tape/hanger strap to assist anchoring it down. On the open end, I'd just install two t-posts and tether the hoop to it. Probably take half an hour to do that and would be considerably stronger for taking the snow load. As for the mentioned bends/kinks from collapse, I'd probably just bend it back into shape and call it good.

My hoop coop just has pvc pipe covered with plastic and been up for 4 years.Snow just slides off. Look for an online chart that shows you how tall an arch must be for a specific width.I can't remember where I found it sorry.I framed mine up with a 2 x 4 in the middle with a door and window on opposite ends

So I went out early this morning to give them all a dose of valbazen, and I saw that their hoop coop had some snow on it making it tilt. I got most of it off and forgot about it. Went back a couple hours later, and it had collapsed. 1 confirmed dead, but 2 more in bad shape.
I don't see any wire or wood framing or a door on the end? Did the chickens just roost underneath this?

Back
Top Bottom