Mommas and chicks showing signs of respiratory illness. Help!

Nafalie

Songster
5 Years
May 12, 2018
Hi everyone!! I hatched some baby chicks about a week ago, and everyone was doing well!

I hatched 6 chicks between two broody hens of mine, and the two moms were living together with all 6 chicks.

They live in the middle stall of my barn with a three nest box set up on the ground. Water and food set up right nearby for easy access.

Everyone was doing great and moving around and learning the ropes, but I just went to check on them and it seems like everyone is getting sick.

I've never dealt with this before. I'd love some input on what to do here!

Everyone is eating and drinking and moving around still, so hopefully it isn't anything too bad.

Attached a video of the noises I was hearing. I wasn't able to capture it, but the two moms sound a little stuffy.

Last edited:
I am definitely not an expert but they sound okay to me. I will listen again and maybe an expert will jump on and give a second opinion.

I am definitely not an expert but they sound okay to me. I will listen again and maybe an expert will jump on and give a second opinion.
One can only hope!! Thoughts on the sound at 00:14?

I'm not an expert either but I hear sneezing.
At this point I would continue to closely monitor. If the breathing started to send gurgled if treat with Tylan. I just don't know how old the chicks should be to get it.

Back
Top Bottom