Monet's Leg ( Help )

SassyMustang198

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2015
He walks on it.. can clasp his foot closed, slight limp but uses it like normal.. he is on Gamebird starter... I"m not sure it doesn't feel dislocated.. what can i do to prevent it from getting worse and fix it.. as he is still growing!

Thanks in advance.

Poor baby!
sad.png

It's hard to see in those photos, but is his leg turned outwards or does it face forwards like the other leg?

Perhaps you should do a search here for "twisted tibia," hopefully someone here with experience will have some advice for you...
@DylansMom , didn't you have to deal with this in the past?

okay will do.. should I splint it straight.. i'm just concerned of it getting worse. cause he is active and loves to just run around.. and right now i'm trying to keep him still which is impossible.

Some better pics. I checked to see. Nothing is broken at all. I would splint it but have no clue how I would to keeping straight.

How old he is? And how much protein in your feed?

I dealt with twisted tibia once last year, they four chicks, 2 got back normal, but the other 2 never got better, these two were more 4 weeks old, that's what make it harder.

You will need to tape his legs straight every night, i was taping him for 12 hours every night, for almost a month.
But keep in your mind you chances to cure this is low.

How old he is? And how much protein in your feed?

I dealt with twisted tibia once last year, they four chicks, 2 got back normal, but the other 2 never got better, these two were more 4 weeks old, that's what make it harder.

You will need to tape his legs straight every night, i was taping him for 12 hours every night, for almost a month.
But keep in your mind you chances to cure this is low.

his hatch date was July 14, he is on game bird Starter.. so it should have all the nutrients he needs.. i would think its for growing chicks.. I would tape it but have no clue how to do so.. i've looked online but not sure how i would do it with him.. i think more his leg is dislocated.. i checked for a twisted tibia.. from what i could find online and not sure if its so.. I will be calling a few vets tomorrow to see if i can bring him in and get an expert to look at it.. he is still small and growing so i'm hopeful we can fix it before he gets too big..

but any picture tutorials on how i would tape it would be great.. cause i'm literally clueless on that..

his hatch date was July 14, he is on game bird Starter.. so it should have all the nutrients he needs.. i would think its for growing chicks.. I would tape it but have no clue how to do so.. i've looked online but not sure how i would do it with him.. i think more his leg is dislocated.. i checked for a twisted tibia.. from what i could find online and not sure if its so.. I will be calling a few vets tomorrow to see if i can bring him in and get an expert to look at it.. he is still small and growing so i'm hopeful we can fix it before he gets too big..

but any picture tutorials on how i would tape it would be great.. cause i'm literally clueless on that..

If his leg were dislocated he could not walk on it.
It looks like a classic case of Twisted Tibea to me, and I had 5 that developed this condition in 2013. Lowered the protein in my feed and removed it completely between dusk and dawn, none in 2014 and none in 2015. My 2013 chicks were overweight, eating high protein feed 24 hrs a day, they grew too fast and it put stress on their still soft bones. I did night taping for a full month and managed to correct all 5, but they were 3-5 weeks old when I started treatment, the older they are.... the harder it is to correct.

Later, after treating/taping for a month

Read this too, it may help.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/941270/slipped-tendon-that-turned-to-twisted-tibia-my-treatment

Back
Top Bottom