Monogamous?

goatsandpeacocks

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2022
My one peahen is just now 2 so she’s been laying so i put some of her and the older hens eggs in the incubator. 3 out of 7 of the eggs are veiny on day 7. peachicky met another peachick her age who happened to be male and she lays next to him and hangs out with him (she hates the other hen and her yearling chicks) and i never saw peachicky breed with the older males. moral of the story- im wondering if because she thinks the other 2 year old is her mate if she’s not breeding with the other males because she has morals? She was an incubator baby and her sibling didn’t make it out of the egg so she was raised alone with only me to interact with so could that be some of the problem?

Attachments

• ACDB3835-D8A8-4EA9-AF5E-E84DCE04728D.png
    ACDB3835-D8A8-4EA9-AF5E-E84DCE04728D.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • BCB567E5-B07A-4FCD-9949-0E54D6D2163E.jpeg
    BCB567E5-B07A-4FCD-9949-0E54D6D2163E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
My one peahen is just now 2 so she’s been laying so i put some of her and the older hens eggs in the incubator. 3 out of 7 of the eggs are veiny on day 7. peachicky met another peachick her age who happened to be male and she lays next to him and hangs out with him (she hates the other hen and her yearling chicks) and i never saw peachicky breed with the older males. moral of the story- im wondering if because she thinks the other 2 year old is her mate if she’s not breeding with the other males because she has morals? She was an incubator baby and her sibling didn’t make it out of the egg so she was raised alone with only me to interact with so could that be some of the problem?
Peafowl don't do "mates" She probably hangs with him mostly because juveniles and adults don't spend much time in the wild and the older hen is intimidating her.

Back
Top Bottom