Monster egg from molting Sex Link

Katydid2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
West Coast USA
With all of the talk about how poorly hens seem to be laying this winter, I thought I'd share an egg laid by my poor molting Black Sex Link hen, Juliette. This morning, I watched her settle her heavily quilled, scantily feathered body in a nest and waited to see if she was really going to lay. Sure enough, I heard the egg land! She stood up and looked between her eggs and I swear it was awe I saw on her face. :0)

I'd love to see or hear about hens that ARE laying through the winter and perhaps even through molts like my Juliette. I feel like celebrating our girls!
001-1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I told her to take a rest for heaven's sake, she looks awful, but it seems she's an egg machine. :0)

Hmmm could she be on steriods?
lau.gif

Quote:
I told her to take a rest for heaven's sake, she looks awful, but it seems she's an egg machine. :0)

Hmmm could she be on steriods?
lau.gif

LOL!

wow thats amazing but i have a girl that ahsnt moulted in like 2 yrs her feathers look horible and she lays eggs all the time like its amazing any spike in her diet such as excess sugars or energry make her doible yolk lol its cool but does anyone noe how to make them moult

Quote:
To force a molt, I think you need to dramatically cut down the amount of light that a bird gets in a 24 hour period. I know that commercial egg factories will deprive hens of daylight and feed to force a molt and get it over with quickly. It seems a bit barbaric to me. I'm wondering instead why your hen isn't molting - if there's a problem that can be remedied. (?) My hen, Juliette, who is laying while in full molt is only 10-months old. I've never seen a hen that young molt that hard. I'm giving her tons of protein but it seems like she won't recover her feathers properly unless she stops laying, which would be fine with me.

I wish I could be more helpful with regard to your hen that won't molt.
idunno.gif

Wow, three yolks! That's an absolute whopper!
ep.gif

Congratulations on getting that one, I guess the chickens are full of surprises.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom