MONSTER Hawk

Lrelliott

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2020
I now have 7 chickens. Just lost a full grown australorp, one of my heavy weights and a good layer (although she looked smaller because she was in full molt) to a MASSIVE red tailed hawk. I have seen one here and there but it NEVER bothered my ladies. The hawk hit in the middle of the afternoon and hardly any evidence left behind. The hawk is now "hunting" my flock. It is in the few trees around my property and screeches, scaring my ladies so much they dont forage and they hide all day. I have 2 acres and only 5 trees. I also have a small dog, which is certainly a snack for this monster. This hawk is about the size of a buzzard.. Just positively massive! I do have a coop with a run and an expansion, however, i think there is more than one hawk now and maybe a nest at the far end of the property behind mine. It literally sits in the trees and waits....I know they are illegal to shoot but come on.... It is literally picking them off! .... HELP!!

x3. Keep everyone in their safe coop and covered run for at least two weeks, or longer. And your little dog needs to go out on leash, not be loose out there either. This is part of chicken keeping!
The good news about raptor attacks is that it's only one bird at a time! So many other predators will take all at once. Sad stories abound on this site, including mine.
Mary

X4 minimum of 1 week 2 would be better. If they are traumatized they will appreciate being secured away from the monster. The monster will hopefully lose interest soon.
I also have small/tiny dogs. I take them out on a leash so they can't get too far from me this time of year. And when I do take the chance and free range the girls I DO NOT have the dogs out too. I would be sad if it got one of the girls but I would take take to my bed if it got one of my dogs.

Back
Top Bottom