Montana

Thanks for confirming that Karla. Kind of too bad, this is one of our nicest chicks. Will sit right on my knee and go to sleep! I plan to keep it as long as I can, at least until the neighbor complains about it. Knew when I bought the Buffs that they were out of a mixed run, feeling kind of lucky that the other two are not growing the big combs and waddles yet!

That's a nce buff to ! Do you live in the city? I hope you can keep him !
I always tell first time chicken buyers, but 3 extra, or better yet 4. This way if you get roosters you have a chance at having girls and not loosing the amount you want to keep.
I believe I have 4 Roos and today I met a gal who processes her own chickens, says she would do mine to! Yay, no more trying to find homes for all the Roos I may end up having.
Oh and I'm loving my leg horns, there adorable and super smart. Much smarter then all the other chicks I have ever had. They are independent, good foragers, and walk amongst the big girls like there even bigger lol. They have no fear . Mom takes them out into the yard and they are all over foraging and following mom, some go off and forage amongst the big big girls. I can not wait to see how well they interact as they get older. What's weird, 2 have tails, 4 do not. Those that do not look like they have tails have what looks like sprouts of feathers but tiny. I read where girls grow tails faster them boys. We shall see. If my other broody hatches her eggs out, it will be in the next day or so, can not wait to see what we get.

Thanks Karla. I live just outside of the City limits but our subdivision codes and covenants say no chickens or swine so I got verbal permission from all of my neighbors to have hens. One neighbor said no to roosters. So, they could legally require me to get rid of them and I need to get along with them. I hope to keep the buff roo and any other roos that develop, but we will see. We only need 4 or 5 hens for our family so if I get more than that I will be giving eggs away.

Interesting about those leghorn tails. Time will tell, and good luck with your next hatch!

Yeah that's definitely looking like a roo-in-training, Doug!

The lambs are doing well. Precious won't feed the girl, so I've got a bottle baby- eh.

We've been pulling ALL pine trees off our property to prevent possible abortions in the yak herd from eating the pine needles. 20 something BIG trees, man! What a pain. DH fells them and de-limbs. Then I de-needle (way worse job, I can attest!) and dump them all in areas that will be filled over with dirt. Fun!! Some visitors are coming out today to see the animals, so should be fun :)

Thanks Karla. I live just outside of the City limits but our subdivision codes and covenants say no chickens or swine so I got verbal permission from all of my neighbors to have hens. One neighbor said no to roosters. So, they could legally require me to get rid of them and I need to get along with them. I hope to keep the buff roo and any other roos that develop, but we will see. We only need 4 or 5 hens for our family so if I get more than that I will be giving eggs away.

Interesting about those leghorn tails. Time will tell, and good luck with your next hatch!
I don't want to get into your business, but before you break your agreement with your neighbors by keeping the roo you should consider how it will impact other families trying to get hens in the future. If the "no rooster" neighbor feels they were wronged, they might be much less likely to agree to another family getting hens, or worse yet attempt to enforce the codes and covenants against you.

Personally, I enjoy backyard chicken as much as I enjoy backyard eggs, so the roos aren't such a disappointment to me - that's why I chose a dual-purpose bird to begin with. Sure, there's processing work, but I think it's worth it.

I don't want to get into your business, but before you break your agreement with your neighbors by keeping the roo you should consider how it will impact other families trying to get hens in the future. If the "no rooster" neighbor feels they were wronged, they might be much less likely to agree to another family getting hens, or worse yet attempt to enforce the codes and covenants against you.

Personally, I enjoy backyard chicken as much as I enjoy backyard eggs, so the roos aren't such a disappointment to me - that's why I chose a dual-purpose bird to begin with. Sure, there's processing work, but I think it's worth it.
I tend to agree, I would hate for you to make that one neighbor mad and you loose all your girls and be with out. I tried to write earlier but my boy was throwing a fit lol. yeah, I would stick to what you have, and if you get a broody do what I do, put fertile eggs under here from another farms chickens. I have two batches of chicks, one will be coming hatched today! the other is 15 days old. sooo sweet. I tend to have the roosters processed for me, found a gal yesterday that will do it for me :)
roosters are not important to keep your chikens happy, or increase your stock, heck i have no roosters and have chicks two and three times a year. for the price of a dozen eggs from another farmer.

Roosters are important if you allow your chickens to free-range... but if the predator count is low or you keep the flock contained, roos aren't a necessity. I keep roosters because I like the crowing and I have a little breeding program here.

Thanks for the good advice Flysammy, Karla, and RoyalT. I have pretty much decided to butcher the rooster(s) as soon as they start crowing to maintain peace and harmony in the neighborhood. I can do that myself, I grew up doing it and have hunted birds all my life. My question is, how old are they before they start crowing and about how big will the Buff Orpington be by then? Will I be looking at only a 1-lb bird or will it be bigger? Kind of sad, to be butchering a baby. Would like it to have at least some time in the new coop and run. I will also try to find a new home for it on a farm that needs a rooster. I can always buy a cooked chicken at Albertson's, they are pretty good eating. Thanks again.

Thanks for the good advice Flysammy, Karla, and RoyalT.  I have pretty much decided to butcher the rooster(s) as soon as they start crowing to maintain peace and harmony in the neighborhood.  I can do that myself, I grew up doing it and have hunted birds all my life.  My question is, how old are they before they start crowing and about how big will the Buff Orpington be by then?  Will I be looking at only a 1-lb bird or will it be bigger?  Kind of sad, to be butchering a baby.  Would like it to have at least some time in the new coop and run.  I will also try to find a new home for it on a farm that needs a rooster.  I can always buy a cooked chicken at Albertson's, they are pretty good eating.  Thanks again.
some crow early, but I have never heard my roosters crow until there 4 months old . There good eating size by then lol. I gave all mine to good homes but I'm just going to have mine processed this time. My leghorns, never before has a rooster crowed at one week lol, one of mine did. Not heard it again so we shall see.

My Orpington male was 7 months old before he started crowing!! But he is a big ole beauty now! I have had roosters crow from about 8 weeks up until 4 months on average. Just depends on the breed and temperment.

Back
Top Bottom