Montana

Hi everyone, and welcome to all the new folks. I've been busy trying to get haying done so haven't been on line much the last few weeks. I've had a bobcat hanging around that thinks she would like some chicken dinner, must be tired of wild turkey every day Ha Ha. I've just been letting my dog chase her off. I think she must have hit my electric fence, she sits about a foot away from it just looking in, or she will pace the fence line which sends the chickens into the coop in a panic.
Hope everyone is doing well, and saying cool.

Wow, a bobcat! Hope it gives up and moves on. Still no eggs here, and still hot. The girls seem to be doing great though, and are putting on weight. Now I have a RIR scratching around in the coop during the day along with an EE, so I think more pullets are getting close to laying. Going down to check for the first egg again!

Wow, a bobcat! Hope it gives up and moves on. Still no eggs here, and still hot. The girls seem to be doing great though, and are putting on weight. Now I have a RIR scratching around in the coop during the day along with an EE, so I think more pullets are getting close to laying. Going down to check for the first egg again!

Same here, I have a flock of 50-60 and only about 10-20 eggs a day!

Hi everyone, and welcome to all the new folks. I've been busy trying to get haying done so haven't been on line much the last few weeks. I've had a bobcat hanging around that thinks she would like some chicken dinner, must be tired of wild turkey every day Ha Ha. I've just been letting my dog chase her off. I think she must have hit my electric fence, she sits about a foot away from it just looking in, or she will pace the fence line which sends the chickens into the coop in a panic.
Hope everyone is doing well, and saying cool.

I spotted a grizzly yesterday about 2 miles away from our place, wonder what she's doing out in this heat!

Hey all , busy round here, moms coming home to my house today, after almost dying she refuses to stay in the rest home and is coming to live with me. My nephew who is handicapped is also here, my hands are full. Chickens are laying well, 6/8 eggs a day from 8 layers, of course they were Laing in the hedges lol, but now are laying in the coop again. My two babies should be laying next month and I'm eating two barred rocks today which makes e so happy. Tere at point f lay so that's also very cool. Got tree more coming from miss cackle Gerry coop up in Hamilton and her birds are laying girls big time. They come Thursday. Looks like a wonderful quiche for dinner tonight, after all I'm getting a bang up job from my girls ! Even giving eggs to neighbors. It's not to ad ere , in the low 80's of course my lawn is dead around my home, but the girls back yard is real nice and green. Off to do more work, cleaning all the rooms in te house today, ugh some times a four bedroom is to big lol have a good week, God Bless

Karla, I take it you meant you are "getting" two barred rocks close to the point of lay, not eating them! Who doesn't love chicken! The quiche sounds excellent. My brother just got back to Butte after a mission trip in Billings and he is glad to be out of the heat.
Best of luck with your mom and nephew, I hope you all enjoy your summer there in your big house with a minimum of health issues. I just did some sprucing up of my carpets, think I got the doggie smell out for now!

Doug

Karla, I take it you meant you are "getting" two barred rocks close to the point of lay, not eating them!  Who doesn't love chicken!  The quiche sounds excellent.  My brother just got back to Butte after a mission trip in Billings and he is glad to be out of the heat.
Best of luck with your mom and nephew, I hope you all enjoy your summer there in your big house with a minimum of health issues.  I just did some sprucing up of my carpets, think I got the doggie smell out for now!

Doug 
lol thanks for pointed it out, yeah point of lay, and no not eating them lol. I missed getting them today, hopefully in a few weeks we can try again. The olive egger Areil sold me is broody ll, she is a tiny girl, so tiny that she looks like a 12 week old pullet and she wants to be a mommy lol,. She is the sweetest girl, always front and center for the goodies, but not today, she will not leave her nest. Oh and she is an amazing at egg laying ! We named the other girl peaches, she lays the most beautiful blue eggs. Any ways egg count was perfect today, all laying . Oh and the little black one we hatched out under our broody girl 3 months ago, starting to get long tail feathers yikes! no crowing, but looking like a rooster. I hope he does not crow lol.
Leg horn is getting big, redding up on te face and should be laying with in 2/3 weeks.
Hard to think I will need to re wrap the coop in the next 2 months to prepare. For winter. Going to get the totally clear plastic this time. Girls are enjoying a frozen watermellon right now , think I'm going to buy several watermellon to freeze for winter, they love it!

Karlamaria, I am so sorry it didn't workout to meet up for you to get your two new girls. I do know for sure I will be coming that way the 16th of Aug. If nothing works out before that, they can hitchhike with me and my hubby. I know they are going to be happy with you. :)
OK. I have problem. We have a 17w of New Hampshire Red pullet who is relentlessly bullying our little 21.5week old runt red star. What can I do!?! She is MEAN. Its not just if Sunny is close or something, she seeks her out and holds her down, rips feathers out and bites her comb. Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom