Montana

My husband has decided he wants 2 to 3 more EE's so anyone close to Billings, Huntley, orShepherd willing to part with any? I already have a dark brown/black onr and two Red/white ones. Plus can anyone tell me themeasurements on a coop and run per hen?
Hi again: as far as getting new EE's, there is a gal on this site, Azriel, who lives near Roundup & she has EE's. I think she is planning on hatching more in January or February. Don't know if she has any young ladies for sale now, but you can always contact her by PM.

Hi again:  as far as getting new EE's, there is a gal on this site, Azriel, who lives near Roundup & she has EE's.  I think she is planning on hatching more in January or February.  Don't know if she has any young ladies for sale now, but you can always contact her by PM. 

Thank you again i will pm here. I am not going to try and hatch until march.

My husband has decided he wants 2 to 3 more EE's so anyone close to Billings, Huntley, orShepherd willing to part with any? I already have a dark brown/black onr and two Red/white ones. Plus can anyone tell me themeasurements on a coop and run per hen?
Danishhennies, I have read where you want anywhere from 2 SF to 4 SF per chicken in your coop, and a minimum of 5 SF per chicken in your run. Mine have 4 and 10, respectively. I am planning to add some chickens, though. I would tend to stay toward the larger spaces, at least 3 SF per chicken in the coop and 8 SF per chicken in the run, they do not feel so claustrophobic that way! Hope this helps!

Doug

Danishhennies, I have read where you want anywhere from 2 SF to 4 SF per chicken in your coop, and a minimum of 5 SF per chicken in your run.  Mine have 4 and 10, respectively.  I am planning to add some chickens, though.  I would tend to stay toward the larger spaces, at least 3 SF per chicken in the coop and 8 SF per chicken in the run, they do not feel so claustrophobic that way!  Hope this helps!

Doug

It did help! So right now my babies have 15SF to themselves for sleep. The run they have 12SF to themselves however they are out of the run in the yard all day they spend maybe an hour in the run a day. That is only when they are eating their fruits and veggies. So I think I can saftley add 4 more without it making much difference. Ok I worked it out. Lol

Ok so I have another question. One of my girls (a leghorn) has her head lowered like she may have had a broken neck at one time. How can I tell if this is a tumor? She is eating, drinking, she stays with dunken ( my turken) these two are the only ones of their kind so they stay together. Anyways, Neckie wont engage with any other girls she walks pretty fast actually. Should I be worried? If I feel for something what am I supposed to be feeling for?

Last edited:
Read into Marek's disease. It affects the nervous system and progressive paralysis of the extremities is one of the signs. It usually affects younger birds. I would quarantine the chicken in question, however the virus spreads through inhalation of dander, so if it is Marek's then the whole flock has been exposed. Do not sell any birds until you figure out what's going on with her. They do make a vaccine, so if you find out that your flock is infected you can start administering the vaccine to chicks and control the spread. Wild birds carry this stuff, so all it takes is the wrong sparrow flying over the run and shedding some dander.

Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marek's_disease

Read into Marek's disease. It affects the nervous system and progressive paralysis of the extremities is one of the signs. It usually affects younger birds. I would quarantine the chicken in question, however the virus spreads through inhalation of dander, so if it is Marek's then the whole flock has been exposed. Do not sell any birds until you figure out what's going on with her. They do make a vaccine, so if you find out that your flock is infected you can start administering the vaccine to chicks and control the spread. Wild birds carry this stuff, so all it takes is the wrong sparrow flying over the run and shedding some dander. Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marek's_disease
Thank you but I dont think this is it. I felt her neck today she has no bumbs but she enjoyed the rub down. Her eyes are normal she is moving and jumping an eating. I think shemay have had a broken neck at one time. Thats why tey were resque birds.

Ok so I have another question. One of my girls (a leghorn) has her head lowered like she may have had a broken neck at one time. How can I tell if this is a tumor? She is eating, drinking, she stays with dunken ( my turken) these two are the only ones of their kind so they stay together. Anyways, Neckie wont engage with any other girls she walks pretty fast actually. Should I be worried? If I feel for something what am I supposed to be feeling for?
I've actually found that LegHorns tend to walk that way. I think that with their huge combs they don't see well on the side that the comb hangs over so its their way of coping with only seeing well out of one eye. If she has been that way for as long as you have had her I wouldn't worry about it.

I've actually found that LegHorns tend to walk that way. I think that with their huge combs they don't see well on the side that the comb hangs over so its their way of coping with only seeing well out of one eye. If she has been that way for as long as you have had her I wouldn't worry about it.

For those of you here not on Facebook, I found this picture -- it's too cute not to share:
542208_10200880969600884_276802530_n.jpg
OMG! Its so cute. There's one like that on pinterest. Any body have any idea why a hen would try to kill a chick (not hers) it happened a few days ago :( Congrats on the eggs, DougMT, mine didn't lay that many when they were that old. It was the dead of winter, so that probably affected it.

Back
Top Bottom