Montana

I keep looking at Hatching eggs on BYC and eBay, but it is just tooo cold to attempt having them shipped here. I hate it when I have to pass up some really good deals just because of the cold!
Windchill is bad here, about -30 degrees. I froze my @## off checking on the chickens and giving them water and food. I hope they are doing okay out there. Even with heat lamps on in the houses, the temps are only in the 30s inside.

I have 3 different breeds coming. Partridge Wyandottes, RC Light Brown Leghorn and RC Black Leghorn so I only have 8 to 9 of each breed which I wouldn't want to sell any right away but I could check to see if I could add to the order for you. Also, I have 15 Barred Rock coming from Jeremy Woeppel (Reese line). I currently have extra roosters in Golden laced Wyandottes, BLR Wyandottes, and Blue Andalusions all from Sandhill Preservation and 1 extra SC Rhode Island Red rooster from Dick Horstman. All are about 9-10 months old. Would be excellent if someone was looking for males for breeding. I can get pictures if interested.

I have something on the order of 70 chicks coming between Ideal and Cackle so don't worry about adding to the order--my brooders will be pretty full. I bet that Horstman bird is far nicer than any of my red birds, but I'm moving away from single comb after this winter. I never had a problem with frostbite here or in Wisconsin (which is typically far colder than Bozeman area) but this winter I had frostbite on combs which is new to me. I'm getting some Chanteclers from Cackle, who supposedly got their flock from a good source. I'm also getting some Buckeye and Black Copper Marans but most of those will go to somebody else. From Ideal I'm trying some Kraienkoppe and a couple each of Orloff and Saipan. I know the quality on most isn't going to be great, but I'm curious to see which do well here in our hot/dry summers and windy winters.

Yeah I wished I'd have gone with the Rose Comb RIR's from Horstman but the Single Comb RIR's are very nice and I haven't had any problems with frostbite yet. The coop they are in is over insulated and I have kept it about 40 in there even with the vents open. I have had frostbit combs in the past so I've been real careful letting them out in the real cold and over insulating the coops.
You're right about Wisconsin. I went to a Packers game the end of November and it was the same temperature as here but felt alot colder and was real windy.
I have heard good things about Cackle's birds. Don't know much about Ideal.

I have 3 different breeds coming. Partridge Wyandottes, RC Light Brown Leghorn and RC Black Leghorn so I only have 8 to 9 of each breed which I wouldn't want to sell any right away but I could check to see if I could add to the order for you.  Also, I have 15 Barred Rock coming from Jeremy Woeppel (Reese line).  I currently have extra roosters in Golden laced Wyandottes, BLR Wyandottes, and Blue Andalusions all from Sandhill Preservation and 1 extra SC Rhode Island Red rooster from Dick Horstman.  All are about 9-10 months old.  Would be excellent if someone was looking for males for breeding.  I can get pictures if interested. 
im in butte also, any chance i could have you ad on a few brown leghorns and a few barred rocks?

Hi Karlamaria. Nice to meet someone from Butte also. I could definitely add extra Barred Rock to the order from Jeremy Woepell but the order from Urch when I finally got a hold of them, they said they couldn't find it from last spring so I am going to wait till next year. I decided I have enough irons in the fire with hatching from the breeds I have now and with Barred Rock that are coming. Building extra pens and breeder pens right now also.

Hi everyone! Seems it has become muck season around my coops now. Sucking throw mud and muckout that I pulled out during the winter months. Now it is a ugly mess. I need to go get a couple dozen straw bales to throw down for our wet season.

I am overflowing with Seramas! I have 13 in a brooder that are between 2 weeks and a month, 12 in a brooder that are between 2 months to 3 months old, and I just transfered 21 new babies into the hatcher/brooder. They just hatched yesterday and today. There are 5 more eggs, not sure if they will hatch or not.

I am bursting at the seams! I hope I can find people that want to buy these little ones! Just had to share the large new hatch!

Hi everyone! Seems it has become muck season around my coops now. Sucking throw mud and muckout that I pulled out during the winter months. Now it is a ugly mess. I need to go get a couple dozen straw bales to throw down for our wet season.

I am overflowing with Seramas! I have 13 in a brooder that are between 2 weeks and a month, 12 in a brooder that are between 2 months to 3 months old, and I just transfered 21 new babies into the hatcher/brooder. They just hatched yesterday and today. There are 5 more eggs, not sure if they will hatch or not.

I am bursting at the seams! I hope I can find people that want to buy these little ones! Just had to share the large new hatch!

Oh, I want Seramas! I just don't know if I have the space right now--I've got 75 chicks in the brooders now.

Hi Karlamaria.  Nice to meet someone from Butte also.  I could definitely add extra Barred Rock to the order from Jeremy Woepell but the order from Urch when I finally got a hold of them, they said they couldn't find it from last spring so I am going to wait till next year.  I decided I have enough irons in the fire with hatching from the breeds I have now and with Barred Rock that are coming. Building extra pens and breeder pens right now also.
thank you! Did they give you a day they are coming? Are you hatching out now? Anything you got to sell?

I need ER help! One of my swedish drakes attacked my indian black runner. Her eyes are really swelled they look like they are swelled and scabbed over. She is also doing a bobbed head thing now like she is twitching. She is eating from my hand she was in the bath tub playing diving waddling quacking. We have her in a dog kennel in the house with water and food she is covered on all sides with a sheet we rubbed genteal gel that helps with drying we have salin we are squirting in every 2 hours. I am not sure what to do with her. Has anybody experenced this please respond soon. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom