Montana

I noticed my broody left the nest for about 15 minutes this morning, but got back on and is hanging in there tight so far. Giving her food and water by the nest now. Other chickens are still laying in her nest, but I have decided if this experiment fails I will build a broody box for the next broody where I can keep her segregated. My ex has a large dog crate that would work, but I don't want to ask her for it so will probably build one out of wood, with a hinged roof that I can lift and access everything. OTJ training!

I noticed my broody left the nest for about 15 minutes this morning, but got back on and is hanging in there tight so far. Giving her food and water by the nest now. Other chickens are still laying in her nest, but I have decided if this experiment fails I will build a broody box for the next broody where I can keep her segregated. My ex has a large dog crate that would work, but I don't want to ask her for it so will probably build one out of wood, with a hinged roof that I can lift and access everything. OTJ training!

Doug, so excited for you! First hatches are always exciting, but then all the rest are too.
wee.gif

How many eggs is your broody sitting on? When is your expected hatch date?

Doug we have two girls sitting too! So exciting! Our first time too. Our dark Brahma and blue laced red are both doing an amazing job. It took 7 full days before I got the dark Brahma off to poop and eat. She was mad at me but she ended up having a dust bath, scratching around and eating and drinking, then she returned to her nest. We candled at day 8 and have 15 out of 24 growing. :) our hatch date is the 30th. What's your hatch date?

Last edited:
Hello, I am Michigan chicken lady, who was transplanted from Montana. I am here now visiting my family. My sister has a friend who would like 4 or 5 silkies. I have been gone from western Montana for so long, I have no idea where to start for her. Does anyone know of someone who has silkies who would be willing to sell a few. She lives in the Missoula area, but would be willing to travel a little. Thanks ahead of time. I am sure loving being back in my Montana mountains. :)

My husband is from Grand Ledge MI, so we moved and lived near Holland a few years....I missed Monrana and family so much we moved back! Plus my DH loves it here better too. Sorry I don't know anyone with silkies. There is an open APA poultry show in Hamilton Sat May 3rd if she wants to stop in and ask around :)

Hello, I am Michigan chicken lady, who was transplanted from Montana. I am here now visiting my family. My sister has a friend who would like 4 or 5 silkies. I have been gone from western Montana for so long, I have no idea where to start for her. Does anyone know of someone who has silkies who would be willing to sell a few. She lives in the Missoula area, but would be willing to travel a little. Thanks ahead of time. I am sure loving being back in my Montana mountains. :)

I have 3 hens that just turned one year old at the beginning of this month, and one nearly 8-week old. The older ones are bearded buff, non-bearded buff and bearded black. The youngster is non-bearded white. These things drive me crazy and I could easily be talked into off-loading them to somebody that actually likes these idiots lovely birds. However, I'm near Bozeman.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom