Montana

It has been a tough spring for my flock. Lost 8/12 of my laying hens due to this fox, that would attack any time of day I let the hens free range over the past 2 months! Our 12 -week old poults and cockerel are still safe in their brooder. Finally got the vixen in my sights yesterday (pics). The .223 worked well. Hopefully if she had kits, they will not grow up to prey on my flock, and hopefully dad fox will not come. Down to about 2 eggs per day now, the four remaining hens have been traumatized. The survivors - one EE and three Black Australorpes.

It has been a tough spring for my flock. Lost 8/12 of my laying hens due to this fox, that would attack any time of day I let the hens free range over the past 2 months! Our 12 -week old poults and cockerel are still safe in their brooder. Finally got the vixen in my sights yesterday (pics). The .223 worked well. Hopefully if she had kits, they will not grow up to prey on my flock, and hopefully dad fox will not come. Down to about 2 eggs per day now, the four remaining hens have been traumatized. The survivors - one EE and three Black Australorpes.
So sorry about your flock! I have been considering myself very fortunate lately since my neighbor lost his whole flock this past winter to a fox. I've been considering getting a rifle for those reasons.

ISO: thoughts on raising a roo to not be a chithead...

Hold/pet or ignore?

I have been reading conflicting ideas. My neatest looking chick may be roo (size-wise) and I really would like to keep him/her. They currently eat treats from my hand and we hold them daily.

Last edited:
ISO: thoughts on raising a roo to not be a chithead...

Hold/pet or ignore?

I have been reading conflicting ideas. My neatest looking chick may be roo (size-wise) and I really would like to keep him/her. They currently eat treats from my hand and we hold them daily.
I would prefer roo's that are friendly. They can do damage when they are mean, to both you and the hen.

I would hold him & pet him as much as possible. We like to call it rooster training. It's not full proof tho. I have a 5- yo son.....and eventually everyone of my Roos has gone after him. Have one on death row now. When we are busy, our rooster training gets left behind. It does help, tho.

Good job! You gotta do what you gotta do. Sorry about your girls. Bet you were just heart broken.

Does anyone have any info on the Spring Fling Poultry Show this weekend? I can't seem to find any current info online and have heard it is in Missoula this year instead of Hamilton but can't verify it online. Anyone know for sure? I would like to go to the show but I don't know the schedule or where it is located.

Does anyone have any info on the Spring Fling Poultry Show this weekend? I can't seem to find any current info online and have heard it is in Missoula this year instead of Hamilton but can't verify it online. Anyone know for sure? I would like to go to the show but I don't know the schedule or where it is located. 

Go to the Rocky Mountain poultry association website...you'll find it there.

Go to the Rocky Mountain poultry association website...you'll find it there.

Thanks. Whenever I google rocky mountain poultry association I can't find their website. Do they have a website? It could just be my sub par googling skills but you would think it would just pop up. I did finally find a flyer for the show though.

Back
Top Bottom