Montana

Well, I have had chickens everywhere we've lived... But we're retired now so I get to spend a whole lot more time with them now... And I'm loving it... they are so funny.... So now I'm growing mealworms for them now....lol but I'm sure it will be worth it and I know they will love them.... The rain has let up so I'm thinking about letting them out.... I told them yesterday that if they don't lay any eggs, they won't be getting out! I'm not too sure they care...lol

Silly question, but how to you grow mealworms? Are they something you order like worms for composting? Something i may consider doing once i get chickens up and going this next spring. I am so excited, not sure i will be able to wait that long! LoL

Rain is still coming down here, but we need it. Glad it finally rained!
263a.png
I think you are correct, your girls won't care of its still raining, and they may get stubborn and not lay, ,lol.

Silly question, but how to you grow mealworms? Are they something you order like worms for composting? Something i may consider doing once i get chickens up and going this next spring. I am so excited, not sure i will be able to wait that long! LoL

263a.png
I think you are correct, your girls won't care of its still raining, and they may get stubborn and not lay, ,lol.
I grew my own mealworms for my gals. Its pretty easy, but takes several months. There are tutorials on you tube.

263a.png

well, I've never done it before.... So I got 1000 from PETSMART and then when I got home, came home and put some oatmeal in my 3 drawer Steralite Container and then added some baby Carrots....OMG, They must have been so thursty the attached to them like crazy... today the carrots are all gone... so I put some more in along with some apple... the problem is that it is soon to be winter and so our house is not so warm... Dad built a little fire this morning so I put the container down by the fire stove..... keeping them warm enough is going to be the hardest part....
when I got home and read a bit more, I ordered more on line at rainbow mealworms and I ordered some bran from them too... I guess the like bran also so I'll mix some in as soon as I get it.... I think the ones I ordered will be healthier.... I can't wait to give some to my chickens....
Rae

I had no idea you could grow your own. I am all about doing, making, or growing as much as i can so i don't have to buy. Definitely will have to check into doing this next spring.
263a.png

I keep opening the drawer so I can see them moving around. ..lol

I have 14 Australorps, and they are big! lol
Started giving then ceyenne pepper with their morning mix and they are all laying better now. I've read that some people do that all winter to keep their hens laying. I only use it to get my girls going again after they have stopped laying for unknown reasons.

Started giving then ceyenne pepper with their morning mix and they are all laying better now. I've read that some people do that all winter to keep their hens laying. I only use it to get my girls going again after they have stopped laying for unknown reasons.

Well mine have never laid an egg! Maybe I should give some to mine... when I make me oatmeal, I make extra ad put it out at night when I close the door up...that way they have something special when they wake up....Tonight I put a bag of Shredded Carrots, they'll be so happy when they see those....
Mine have been venturing farther and it worries me a bit.... we have so many preditors, they are just not afraid of anything..... except me picking them up....lol

Back
Top Bottom