Montana

Any of you Billings area peeps planning on new chicks this spring? Would like to order from a hatchery, but usually have to buy so many. Maybe a few of us could go in on an order? Let me know!

Last edited:
Any of you Billings area peeps planning on new chicks this spring? Would like to order from a hatchery, but usually have to buy so many. Maybe a few of us could go in on an order? Let me know!

well min haven’t even started laying yet.... But I was thinking that I wouldn't need to get new chicks but every other year... so this next spring mine should be laying a whole lot of eggs, I hope anyways....lol If they're not laying then I would love to order with you..... <3

well min haven’t even started laying yet.... But I was thinking that I wouldn't need to get new chicks but every other year... so this next spring mine should be laying a whole lot of eggs, I hope anyways....lol If they're not laying then I would love to order with you..... <3
Yeah, I was thinking every other spring also, but I have some older hens who have stopped laying. So maybe I'll get a few. I had an EE who seemed to take forever to start laying, but once she did, she was my best layer. They should start anytime now. Are they squating for you? Or red combs? That is usually a sign. Are they on a layer feed with extra calcium free chouce? They can be put on layer at 16 weeks if you haven't done so.

Yeah, I was thinking every other spring also, but I have some older hens who have stopped laying. So maybe I'll get a few. I had an EE who seemed to take forever to start laying, but once she did, she was my best layer. They should start anytime now. Are they squating for you? Or red combs? That is usually a sign. Are they on a layer feed with extra calcium free chouce? They can be put on layer at 16 weeks if you haven't done so.

I'm not sure what to do when the time comes and they no longer lay, they'll be too to eat..... what do you think? Yesh, mine are on layer Pellets and I've always had Oyster Shell available for them at all times.... The one I think will lay first did squat for me when I picked her up, so hopefully we'll get an egg soon... I've never had to wait this long for my chickens to lay.... But they say Australorps are the very best layers!!
So I guess I must wait...lol OMG, my hens just love these mealworms. Even if I don't want to raise them I'll always order them for my hens...Rae

Where are you located? And what breeds do you like to have?

I am north of Billings about 2 hours in Winnett. After researching and reading up on tons of breeds, I have decided I am going to get EE, Buckeyes, Barnevelder, and possibly the Star. The star will be my back up if something happens with one of the others on the order, lol.

I'm not sure what to do when the time comes and they no longer lay, they'll be too to eat..... what do you think? Yesh, mine are on layer Pellets and I've always had Oyster Shell available for them at all times.... The one I think will lay first did squat for me when I picked her up, so hopefully we'll get an egg soon... I've never had to wait this long for my chickens to lay.... But they say Australorps are the very best layers!!
So I guess I must wait...lol OMG, my hens just love these mealworms. Even if I don't want to raise them I'll always order them for my hens...Rae
I will probably keep my favorites until they pass on their own. Ones that aren't as friendly I give away. I don't ask, and they don't tell...if you know what I mean. Just can bring myself to cull. Sounds like your girls will start laying soon. Post a picture of your first egg!

I am north of Billings about 2 hours in Winnett. After researching and reading up on tons of breeds, I have decided I am going to get EE, Buckeyes, Barnevelder, and possibly the Star. The star will be my back up if something happens with one of the others on the order, lol.
I have a Red Star, she's a great hen. I would like some heritage breeds. I will keep researching breeds.

I will probably keep my favorites until they pass on their own. Ones that aren't as friendly I give away. I don't ask, and they don't tell...if you know what I mean. Just can bring myself to cull. Sounds like your girls will start laying soon. Post a picture of your first egg!

yeah, I don't want to cull them either... I will take some pictures on Friday, we have to go to town tomorrow.... Joe has a doctor appointment and then we're have to buy more wood to build the retaining wall for the walk way to the chicken house ... we were just 3' short of the 1/4" hardware cloth, so we're buying more tomorrow....so, I'm so excited because it is finally looking like we are finally finished with this chicken coop... good lord, I never thought it would've taken this long .....lol We set 2 posts so by the time Friday gets here we can start working!!

Back
Top Bottom