Montana

Well, we went ahead and captured the whole family of 5 and put them in the brooder box, with the heat lamp about 3' above, and with chick starter feed and water. Momma seems happy, even after being captured with a fish net, and the chicks alternate between exploring and going under momma's wings! Our twelve one-month old chicks are separated by a plastic construction fence partition, and every time they approach the new mom and chicks, she tries to peck them! Good, protective momma, a Black Australorp. Daddy is an Easter Egger, but all the chicks look like BA's. It will be interesting to see what they turn out to look like. Will momma do OK on the chick starter feed for a couple of weeks?

I just saw this post -- I have been absent from this site for quite sometime. How are your mom & babies doing? It's kinda hard when you have mom w/babies & full grown hens. Hope they're all doing well!

Montana chickens are the happiest. Here is one of mine. Flathead valley...

Hi Montanachicks! The four babies are doing fine, are about 1/3 sized chickens now, and have integrated with the rest of the flock. Unfortunately, a pair of fox came in and killed 6 chickens in about 5 minutes, including their momma, and our favorite hen Speckles! This was at 10:30 in the morning about 2 weeks ago. I did get both foxes. The remaining flock (16 girls and I think 5-6 roosters or cockerels) are doing well. Expecting first pullet eggs in about 6 weeks. Free ranging certainly has its drawbacks here! We butchered our two donated meat birds last week - almost 4 lbs each of very tasty meat. A great learning experience for the boys!

I've been working outside so much and we have 3 of our grand babies here with us for 5 weeks. But I wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. This will be our first year with a really nice garden. We're working on it right now. I can't wait!!! I'll try and get some pictures of my hens and my grandbabies. They love to get the eggs. Rae, I'm in Big Timber.

Hey everybody. Anyone looking for Cockrells? I have three 10 week olds. One Wellsummer and two Wellsummer/Easter Egger cross. Beautiful little guys.I'm in Hardin but can deliver to the Billings area.
[/IMG]

I have many cockerels. I have Cream Legbars and Birchen Marans cockerels that will populate my freezer if they don't get homes.

Back
Top Bottom