Monthly Challenges (Like Giving Challenge) Discuss details here.

weaveagarden

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Hoquiam, Wa
OK. Some of us started the 29 days of giving challenge on January 29th. Link here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290217
About
12 days into the challenge, it was discussed that we might start doing a challenge each month. We don't know as we start this on February 9th if it will continue to be a giving challenge, or if we will mix it up and change the theme for the challenge each month. This is where we will be discussing that. Everyone should feel free to join in. I believe that we want this to be a positive place to express ideas. No idea is dumb. And any harsh treatment of others ideas will not be tolerated by the group. So lets keep this light and uplifting please. Once the challenges have started, the monthly discussion should include difficulties that you encounter as well as the positive aspects of taking on the challenge.

OK... Let's talk!

Last edited:
I am in, yet it is 46* out in Maine so I will think outside,
big_smile.png

I'll be back

Sounds interesting. I'm not sure i understand what you mean by themes. Can you explain that more so we have something to think on. Thanks.

I like the idea of finishing the 29 days of February and then title a thread called 31 days of March giving challenge or something along those lines. I just thought it would be nice to end one month and then start a fresh thread for each month so they dont get too long and new folks dont feel like if they didnt start in Feb that they cant join now.

I like the theme idea while still encouraging anything that folks can do. For example, if we did eggs and some of our members are still in the 'chicken owner wannabe' category then we would still want them to commit any random act of kindness that they would want to or could do.
smile.png

Cant wait to hear what everyone else thinks.

Kim...in the pink zone
smile.png

I was searching my AM brain for a word that fit what I meant, and themes was all it could come up with. 1 triple latte later, I think focus may be a better word. But really, I think that is for those of us who discuss this to decide. My thought is that We could focus on eggs one month or one week, perhaps the week of Easter. We could focus of gifts that cost nothing one month, or gifts of action another (Like returning a grocery cart or helping someone across the street......) I really don't know. I just think that there are so many types of giving that it could be fun to focus on one type of giving for a period of time. And maybe this could also extend to something other than giving. Maybe we have a month focused on volunteering. It might be about finding out what kinds of volunteering people in our area are doing. For instance. I have a friend who only works for disabled people. He charges the minimum he can, and often just stops by to help them as he is passing their house - without charge. We joke that once he works for you, he is yours for life. It is his way of helping people.
These are just ideas. I am sure that if we start on something, ideas will come.

Rainplace heard about the 29 days of giving challenge. There are other worthy ideas out there. I say we keep ourselves open to possibilities. I know I heard of something lately.... Wish I could think what it was.

I like the idea. If we have different ways to give to focus on we can get more ideas from each other and realize we can give in different ways depending on our circumstances. I think it is worth a try. Also having a place to share our good and bad times of sharing will help.

Quote:
I hope you feel very comfortable sharing your bad times on the 29 days thread also. That really is what it is for. Sometimes giving is not all good. And it is important to share that also. Each of us will experience a wide range of emotions. You do, anytime you stretch yourself out of your comfort zone. But that doesn't mean that it isn't good to do it. The 29 days challenge should be about opening our mind, as well as your heart.

Though I am not against making this ongoing, I had been think about starting a happiness group starting the first week of March. It's in the same vein of giving but it's giving to ourselves... I think. I'll find the stuff I have on it and get back to you all. I'm in a very bad way today since it looks like we're about to go to battle with the neighbors over my flock. I'm just sick over it.

Back
Top Bottom