MOST BROODY CHICKENS

BODEENY

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
Hello, I am wondering what a broody breed of chicken is that would hatch and raise chicks?
D.gif
Thanks

Agreed! Silkies! I have 11 coming in May lol. But Cochins and Gamefowl are known to be great setters too. Those are my top 3. Any kind of Gamefowl bantam or large fowl but I wouldn't go with the large fowl unless you can separate the roosters because they will fight each other to the death.

The broodiest chickens are Silkies. They have been known to spend weeks just trying to incubate a golf ball. Cochins are another very broody breed. Both our Silkies and Cochins were great brooders and mothers and raised a number of broods for us.

I agree, silkies are a very broody breed. I have some that have tried to hatch pine shavings. I have not had cochins, but they are another breed likely to go broody.

As already mentioned, Silkies and Cochins are well known for their broodiness. However, I had three Silkie hens and not one went broody. The only bird that went broody and successfully hatched eggs for me last year was a Black Sex Link, go figure. Other breeds I've had that were broody in the past: Black Copper Marans, Light Brahma, Black Jersey Giant, Golden Phoenix.

How many eggs will be in a silkie or Cochins nest?

If you let them, they will try and incubate a dozen and a half, but I would personally limit them to about 10-12 for a standard sized Cochin and 8 for a Silkie or Cochin bantam. The hens need to be able to complete cover the eggs with their feathers to insure a high hatch rate.

Back
Top Bottom