most friendly breed?

I haven't had them myself but from my observation with friends' birds. Silkies are far and away the most calm and friendly.
Of the 30 breeds I've had, Jersey Giants were the only ones I could walk up to in the yard and pick up with no prior taming.
I've had black, white and blue.
Orpingtons are friendly too.
Silkies downside is they are often broody and with limited vision are very predator prone.
The EEs I've had weren't the most friendly but they did have a great personality if a bit standoffish.

I want to say that in a mixed flock, if your birds free range, the skittish birds are the least likely to get picked off by hawks and foxes.

Some of the friendliest breeds I have had are Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Barred Rocks and Swedish Flower Hens (though the Barred Rocks can be a bit more aggressive toward other birds and the one Barred Rock rooster I had was too aggressive toward people). On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being very skittish and 10 being super friendly, I would give my easter eggers about a 7 on average.

Last edited:
The most friendly breed I have had would have to be Wyandottes, though my Silkies are also very friendly. In my experience EEs aren't the most friendly there is, but also not too flighty. They're still great to have :)

Last edited:
Two of our eggers are skittish but we didn't raise them / were adults when we got them. Our other egger we raised is friendly, doesn't mind being petted most days. Out of the six we raised, they all are pretty friendly, but the buffs are probably the friendliest.

I agree with the above friendly breeds :)

Easter eggers can be skittish, but I've had two that are the best birds ever. All I did was pick it up at around 9 months and carry it around at a few hours a pop all day.. for about two days and she became the MOST chill bird I've ever had after a month or so of handling.
(She's my profile picture)

It all depends on the time you give the bird. If you put in a little time then easternly eggers are super neat and calm, but if not, they'll be more skittish

Last edited:
The way they are raised makes a big difference. Treat them kindly, as intelligent beings, and they will respond as such.
My Speckled Sussex is a sweetheart, jumps up on my lap.
My daughter's Black Sexlink is super friendly, lets my 3 yr. old granddaughter carry her around.

Back
Top Bottom