Most friendly chicken breeds

I don't have experience with many breeds. All of my Barred Rocks are extremely friendly, always coming over for a pet or to perch on a shoulder. Most of my orpingtons are very friendly, though not so much as the BR. The BO are a little skittish. One of my orpingtons is a little angry bird.

My relatives are the same way, so I figure that everything is normal with the chickens.

My silkies are mellow, but I want to say that is partially because they can't see well with their poofs in their face to run away, but they check to see if I have treats when they see me. My d'uccles are more interactive though, they come running at me when I call them seeking attention and talking with me the whole time I am there. My hen Freddy seems to enjoy being cuddled and is very curious about anything I bring with me. My d'uccles have the vote on that one

Ohh what's dis thing?

New to this, but my Buff Orpington is a little lover- she's very content to be held and have her feathers stroked. Next would be a tie between my Black Australorps and my Easter Egger. Then my Barred Rock (who was the friendliest to begin with), and then my RIR. They are almost 5 weeks old.

I LOVE my Speckled sussex!, A good rule of thumb is if they have feathered feet, they are going to be friendly =] I have Light brahma, Cochins, And they are all super friendly =] MY Speckled Sussexs are still more friendly than them though =] Barred rocks can also be very friendly... If you are just looking for friendly I HIGHLY suggest a bantam cochin... I have 2 little roos and they are the sweetest things every =]

I have only had about 5 different breeds of chicks so far but I'd say my Marans and my Wyandotte were/are the ones loving to be cuddled and picked up. Both would fall asleep on my lap. My unknown mix, Lucy, who may be part EE, is very stand offish but friendly, she does not like to be picked up though. She will sit on my knee or right next to me as long as I don't touch her too much.

Well, I've had several breeds throughout the years and all have been extra sweet but I'll say I just love my buff orpingtons the best.
smile.png

My New Hampshire Red was very friendly, smart, and sweet. I lost her recently, but I was sure to order another NHR chick.
My Buff Orp. is very sweet, doesn't like to be picked up really, but once you're holding her she doesn't mind.
My EE was friendly, but didn't like to be held.

I'm excited to read about the Brahma's and Sussex's being friendly, because I ordered some of those as well.
wee.gif

Not much experience here but, as of 4 1/2 weeks old, I love love love my buckeyes! They are so sweet and come and sit on my lap. My gold-laced wyandottes and easter eggers are fine but not nearly as friendly.

Back
Top Bottom