Most friendly chicken breeds

Pics

hollychicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Smiths Falls , Canada
Does anyone have an opinion on the most lovable and most friendly chicken breeds?
D.gif

I have a lot of different chicken breeds (both LF and Bantam).
By far the most friendly and demanding of attention are the d'Uccles!
They have a "need" to be held at all times.

smile.png

My silkies are mellow, but I want to say that is partially because they can't see well with their poofs in their face to run away, but they check to see if I have treats when they see me. My d'uccles are more interactive though, they come running at me when I call them seeking attention and talking with me the whole time I am there. My hen Freddy seems to enjoy being cuddled and is very curious about anything I bring with me. My d'uccles have the vote on that one

Ohh what's dis thing?

Just from observation from other folks here that have those breeds you have a 50/50 chance of them living up to your expectations lol!
They're individuals reguardless of breed so tacking down the should, would, will or wonts is damn near impossible.
Choose what speaks to you, throw your research to the wind.
Trust me on this iv'e got a tad bit of experience and wouldn't steer you wrong.:)
Newbie to chickens. First 8 chicks coming the end of March. After much studying on this site I have chosen.
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Welsummer
Golden Buff
Barred Rock
White Rock
Barnevelder
Austra White
Black Australorp

These were none broody, calm disposition , good layers. Good mix?

Sure I will be here often looking for advice :) Great website.

Not a huge amount of experience here, but I have read several on these forums saying that wyandottes can be quite mean. I'm assuming they meant bullying other chickens because it's rare (aside from some roosters) that a bird is aggressive towards humans.

None of my laced Wyandotte eggs hatched, which was sort of a relief after reading those posts.

I watch this thread with interest, since I have mostly Faverolle hens and they are even Sweeter than their reputation, and quite timid, just wonderful birds full of happiness and personality, but they generally run away from conflict with the "meanies".

They get along with my 2 RIR hens OK, but the reds are aloof,anti-social, and vicious towards the younger birds I am trying to slowly introduce....they may be Lunchmeat, No more reds for me.

You need to keep in mind that each bird has it's own personality. The friendliest bird in my first year flock was a RIR. I got three more the second year and none of them are very friendly. Many people here on BYC say RIR are not friendly. My friendliest bird that I currently have is a SLW. I am going to get 2 or 3 more this year but I have no way to know if they will be as friendly. Several of my EE's are friendly but not all of them are. The friendliest bird I ever had was a white leghorn rooster. He loved to be held. I am allowed to keep roosters but out of consideration for nearby neighbors I rehome any roosters. And this rooster was very vocal. We were sad to see him go.

Also be aware that their personalities change as they get older. It seems like they change several times in the first few weeks. In my experience the majority are NOT friendly from a few weeks old until they start laying. After they start laying then they tend to get friendlier. And after their first major molt as adult birds some of them change again.

Back
Top Bottom