most humane way to put down a chicken at home :(

horsecrazy

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
central CA
my semi-paralyzed chicken has gone downhill fast. yesterday she could stand and take a few steps, now she flops over to her side every time. I don't think there is any way for her to recover. what is the best way to put her down? I am NOT going to wring her neck, chop her head off, etc.

Quote:
Horsecrazy, I'm very sorry to say that the head chop is the most efficient and humane, although it seems vicious, violent and bloody to us humans.

Sorry...

Last edited:
When my chicken was too sick she completly stopped eating and was just wasting away. I got a old cooler put a wire mesh bottom on it and fillet the bottom portion of the cooler with baking soda and peroxide put a towl over the metal mesh and set her inside the cooler and shut the lid. She was asleep within minutes. Sorry about your girl and ,Goodluck. It's hard to do.

First, I don't think there is an easy way. I think the first thing you have to do is make the decesion that you are going to do what is best for the bird, not what is best or easiest for you.

That being said, I use the broomstick method. Lay the chicken on the ground. Place a broomstick or whatever you have across the back of the chickens neck. Place a foot on each side of the brookstck, grasp the chickens legs and pull sharply until the neck breaks.

It's effective for me. And there is no bloody mess.

Quote:
I'm with harrelldjr, with an added comment: You'll know the chicken is dead when it suddenly starts flapping really hard. That means it's done, and the chicken feels nothing. You've done it right.

Hardest for you is easiest for the bird.
hugs.gif

Quote:
the flapping is going to REALLY REALLY REALLY freak me out. the last thing i want to do is torture it, or think I'm torturing it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do for her yet.
sad.png

Quote:
the flapping is going to REALLY REALLY REALLY freak me out. the last thing i want to do is torture it, or think I'm torturing it. I haven't decided what I'm going to do for her yet.
sad.png

The longer the wait the harder it is.
sad.png
hugs.gif

We just had to put down a bird too. We used the broom stick method..it breaks the neck in an instant, and no blood. Very fast. (i can send you a video link of how its done..if you'd like? ) THats how we'll do it again, if we have to.
But the head chop is also very fast and humane. I would do either one of those.
So sorry.
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom