Most inexpensive style of home to build, 1400sf with garage.

edible_chicken

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Ohio
What is considered the most inexpensive style of single story home with 1400sqft?

And how much will a basement add to cost of a home? A lot we are looking slopes a bit and I am thinking it would be best to add a basement since they will have to dig.

We are looking for a contractor to build us an inexpensive home (but not an el cheapo) and want to divert those costs into better constructing, energy efficiency, and add a garage to the plan.

Thanks!

i should include we live in York South Carolina.

Last edited:
MHO, you have to put in a footer, which is only a few feet less than a full basement. So, you could double your living space by having a basement as part of your living quarters. Basements are naturally cooler because the ground helps to insulate. Though you'll still want to "finish" it. You could put a 12/12 pitch roof over the basement and have an upstairs, really would be no different than a cape cod type house, it's just half buried. It would basically be a berm home. The one in the photo is one story.. cheaper yet! However, if you plan to finance, most banks arene't giddy about financing because it's not the "norm".

And, a regular cape cod style is also a good use of space (I have a cape if you hadn't guessed). You basically get 3.5 (small attic above 2nd floor) stories of living space with a small foot print, by going up. by building an attached garage, you can add another whole floor section above that. I had plans once for a solar berm home, that was basically a buried cape with a solarium on the length of one side......... the second floor was open on the sides to allow air flow, awesome design, bank said no.

Last edited:
Some things to consider, if you want to build it better... Consider the upcharge to 2x6 construction over 2x4, yep it's a costly upgrade initially but in time you will recoup your money in heating and cooling cost... Same with investing in good windows and not skimping out on attic insulation, costly up front but they will save you money in the long run...

Generally basements are a no brainier if you want cheap square footage, as are 2nd stories, but at 1400sqft a 2nd story is really kind of a waste...

I would go with a 1400sqft ranch with a full unfinished basement if I was looking to save cost, if you plan the width right you can use standard roof and floor truss sizes that are literally in stock at most lumber yards and significantly cheaper than custom sized ones or stick building... I did this when I put a second story on my old house, I lucked out and the width was dead on for in stock trusses at the local Menards, saved a ton of hassle as I was able to just call and have them delivered the next day...

i sure miss menards when i lived in ohio! love that place!

i am no expert, but it is my guess they will need to dig fairly deep for the footers. If that is the case, I may go with a finished basement with a smaller footprint as meepbeep mentioned. We don't need/want a big home. we have 1 child and plan maybe 1 more. we are always outside, so having a big house does us no good.

we talk to the builder on friday. one other question i have is i am planning to have metal roofing installed and someone said moss/mildew will grow on metal roofs in SC and not a good choice. Is that really true? I have drove past couple houses with metal roofs and didn't see mildew growing on the roof.

Thanks!

Moss/mildew forms where there is shade, if the roof is in full sun it should dry out just fine and prevent any growth, but if it's in the shade, under tree cover or you live where there isn't that much sunny dry days, you will get moss/mildew no matter what kind of roof you have...

Have you looked into a Strawbale house? That's our dream.....been in several of them and they are wonderful!

i have heard of it, but never looked into it. Since we have chickens, we occasionally will have a mouse or two, but I'd be afraid mice would get into the walls and wreck havoc on strawbales. That might be an idea though when i build their new coop!

Now i have one other question. The builder sent me an itemized sheet of the proposed construction. On the sheet it says the exterior is Hardboard Siding. Do y'all think this is the same hardboard that was used in the 70s & 80s that was basically cardboard or is this the newer James Hardiboard? I know Hardiboard can be called other things, but just didn't know if this is the same?

My dad's house had the hardboard stuff when it was built in the 70s and within 10 years it swelled and literally fell off the house.

Hardiboard or hardiplanks seem like a good siding, so if this is what the builder is going to use, is this the way to go rather than using vinyl siding or should we stick to vinyl. I know hardiboard you need to paints every 8 years or so to keep it maintained. thanks!

Last edited:
Our strawbale house, like all of the others I've seen, is on a foundation that keeps the bales from any contact with the ground. Then the bales get three coats of stucco on the outside, right down over that foundation, and plaster on the inside. There's no more risk of mice getting in than there would be in a similarly built stick frame house. That said, I know it's quite a stretch to even imagine living in a house made of strawbales, but we can't imagine building anything else. LOL

I have no idea what kind of siding your builder is proposing, but from a maintenance standpoint I think vinyl would be my choice.

Now i have one other question. The builder sent me an itemized sheet of the proposed construction. On the sheet it says the exterior is Hardboard Siding. Do y'all think this is the same hardboard that was used in the 70s & 80s that was basically cardboard or is this the newer James Hardiboard? I know Hardiboard can be called other things, but just didn't know if this is the same?

My dad's house had the hardboard stuff when it was built in the 70s and within 10 years it swelled and literally fell off the house.

Hardiboard or hardiplanks seem like a good siding, so if this is what the builder is going to use, is this the way to go rather than using vinyl siding or should we stick to vinyl. I know hardiboard you need to paints every 8 years or so to keep it maintained. thanks!

Best to compile a list of questions and have the builder give you specific brands of things like siding and what not in writing so you can research them... Most of the 'hardboard siding' today is a concrete composite that is well like rock, not the composite wood they used in the 70s... As said above though, I like vinyl siding as it holds it's appearance for a long time and doesn't need periodic caulking and paint like most other sidings do...

Back
Top Bottom