Most/Least commonly exhibited chickens at shows and other APA Questions

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
Hello!

Is there any sort of list that ranks which chicken breeds are exhibited the most/least at shows?

Also, from my understanding, you can show chickens that are not part of the APA list? (I really like deathlayers, for example).

Are there any guides when it comes to breeding birds that don't have a SOP or are not part of the APA?

Thank you!

The APA doesn’t really keep a list, but there is a census that gives you a good picture. https://livestockconservancy.org/heritage-breeds/conservation-priority-list/
You can show chickens outside the APA list, they just can’t advance beyond best of breed. It provides good publicity. Pencilled Hamburgs are pretty similar to Deathlayers though, if you want more competition.
You can look up proposed breed standards on the internet or write your own for a guideline if there isn’t one.

Good silver pencilled Hamburgs are very rare though. Gold ones are a bit more common. I believe Rik Deihs has some.
D8021EC3-A0A6-4E1B-91B6-EF093DF458E0.jpeg
80A63A92-7024-4F17-BC9C-3AB595202593.jpeg

They aren’t the same color on the males. Silver Campines are though.

Deathlayers are also very beautiful though, so if that’s what you want, I get it.

Good silver pencilled Hamburgs are very rare though. Gold ones are a bit more common. I believe Rik Deihs has some.View attachment 3263036View attachment 3263037
They aren’t the same color on the males. Silver Campines are though.

Deathlayers are also very beautiful though, so if that’s what you want, I get it.
Thank you! Yeah, I was actually looking at both Campines and Hamburgs, since they are similar in appearance to Deathlayers. Aside from looks, do you know any key differences that might help me decide if I want to go with Campines or Hamburgs? Do you know anything about their personalities? I haven't had or seen any in real life. I definitely need to do more research on both of those breeds.

Thank you! Yeah, I was actually looking at both Campines and Hamburgs, since they are similar in appearance to Deathlayers. Aside from looks, do you know any key differences that might help me decide if I want to go with Campines or Hamburgs? Do you know anything about their personalities? I haven't had or seen any in real life. I definitely need to do more research on both of those breeds.
No, I don’t.

This is a fun thread! Off the top of my head I can think of a few APA recognized varieties I happen to know are either extinct or simply not being shown. There are no LF white Houdans, for example; LF white Faverolles are nearly wiped out and I'm not sure there's any strong flocks and certainly none being shown; and RC white Dorkings are in similar rough shape though there are at least several small flocks around.

I would love to hear more from everyone!

Back
Top Bottom