Mottled Belgian D’ Uccle pairing

NuggetNoob

Chirping
May 1, 2021
IMG_0420.jpeg

We’ve had no luck finding this handsome gentleman (named “Admiral”) any mottled ladies. Still new to pairings but would it be best to match him with a black D’ Uccle hen while we continue to search for mottled? Any good resources for color/ gene charts? Much appreciated. At the moment he is happily guarding a few calico Cochin bantam ladies.

* in these pics he is a tad beat up (and extremely lucky we saw it happen and came running) from flying over his fence to challenge a senior Brahma rooster 5 times his size the very first day he graduated quarantine. We learned he can fly extremely well that day and modified accordingly… 😅

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpeg
    IMG_0419.jpeg
    929.9 KB · Views: 2
Yeah. Black would be the best, if you are looking to produce more mottleds. The female offspring can be bred back to him to produce half mottled and have black chicks. Mottled is a recessive gene.

That is a funny story.
I have a similar one. All of my d’Anvers roosters challenge me constantly, except for this fall hatched cockerel named Filipe. I figured he must be a gentler soul. I put him in with a bantam Welsummer cockerel and two bantam Welsummer hens since I was quarantining them and him from a show. Those Welsummer bantams are oversized and a lot bigger than him. I am currently moving so there were not a lot of available pens for him by himself. So naturally, they started fighting and I wanted Filipe to give up and submit because he was punching up and I didn’t want him to get hurt. So I supervised them to ensure they weren’t going to hurt each other when housed together. Also it was very amusing. But that determined and energetic little cockerel won and he won the ladies.
He continued to lead that pen throughout quarantine.
Also, Queeny, who either is his mother or aunt/great aunt, once fought with a huge Delaware cockerel that was passing by her cage when I was moving her.
Belgian bantams are fighters.

Back
Top Bottom