MOTTLED COCHIN THREAD~!

Pics
Hi All ! Could you Please give me your opinions of my boy Shadow. I would like to possibly show him this coming spring. Be honest, I need to know the good, bad & the ugly
frow.gif

I'm here to learn so have at it !
What color do you consider him to be................. Splash ? Blue Splash ? Splash mottled ?

As gorgeous, lovely and totally beautiful as he is, he isn't a Mottled. He needs to have white tips on his feather tips and this gorgeous and most handsome guy has shafting and streaking color. I see a lot of boys out there with streaking that win, which is something I think should not be shown.

As gorgeous, lovely and totally beautiful as he is, he isn't a Mottled. He needs to have white tips on his feather tips and this gorgeous and most handsome guy has shafting and streaking color. I see a lot of boys out there with streaking that win, which is something I think should not be shown.

I understand the term shafting, but can you explain streaking ? Would he be considered a splash ???? Sorry for the questions........ I have lots to learn !!

He appears to have some splash in him but on the streaking you can see how the light color goes all the way down some of his feathers. In a lot of Mottled roosters the white does seem to streak all the way down the feathers and that is not what Mottleds are supposed to look like. However, roosters are harder to get good color on, while hens seem to be glorious. Some streaking is allowed but I haven't shown any of mine like that.

And again....I think he is 'da BOMB!
droolin.gif

He appears to have some splash in him but on the streaking you can see how the light color goes all the way down some of his feathers. In a lot of Mottled roosters the white does seem to streak all the way down the feathers and that is not what Mottleds are supposed to look like. However, roosters are harder to get good color on, while hens seem to be glorious. Some streaking is allowed but I haven't shown any of mine like that.

And again....I think he is 'da BOMB!
droolin.gif

Thank you Amy ! I think he's pretty cool too ! OK, I've got the difference between shafting & streaking
smile.png
This summer I was able to hatch a couple of eggs from him & his blue girls. The chicks look to be black mottled. If they are mottled, does that mean that each of the birds carries the mottled gene ???

I'll try to post pics tomorrow of the 2 chicks Thanks again for the help

Last edited:
I would expect if they look like they hatched out Mottled they may well be Mottled but of course, photos help. They may carry a gene for Mottled if he came from Mottled himself. He looks like a really awesome version of Mottled/splash. I have one or two of them but they are not nearly awesome looking as your handsome guy.
He seems to have great type, as well as your girls.
Can't wait to see the photos of the offspring.

Hi All ! Could you Please give me your opinions of my boy Shadow. I would like to possibly show him this coming spring. Be honest, I need to know the good, bad & the ugly
frow.gif

I'm here to learn so have at it !
What color do you consider him to be................. Splash ? Blue Splash ? Splash mottled ?

I love him! I have a splash mottled cockerel. I will try and get a pic of him. He has a couple of feathers with the coloring running down the shaft. Splashes can look so different from one another, just like the shade on a blue can vary. Breeding him like you are to solids, and you should also get a mottled pullet, test breed, test breed, test breed!!!!!!!!

I love him! I have a splash mottled cockerel. I will try and get a pic of him. He has a couple of feathers with the coloring running down the shaft. Splashes can look so different from one another, just like the shade on a blue can vary. Breeding him like you are to solids, and you should also get a mottled pullet, test breed, test breed, test breed!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the compliment ! Test breeding is difficult ! When the girls were laying, the eggs I set weren't fertile VERY frustrating as these are young birds !! I wasn't sure if the infertility was due to Shadow's youth or their extremely heavily feathered behinds !! and then in between I had to deal with the girls going broody
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

Thank you for the compliment ! Test breeding is difficult ! When the girls were laying, the eggs I set weren't fertile VERY frustrating as these are young birds !! I wasn't sure if the infertility was due to Shadow's youth or their extremely heavily feathered behinds !! and then in between I had to deal with the girls going broody
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

Yeah, I know what you mean. Its time to pluck, or AI.

I would expect if they look like they hatched out Mottled they may well be Mottled but of course, photos help. They may carry a gene for Mottled if he came from Mottled himself. He looks like a really awesome version of Mottled/splash. I have one or two of them but they are not nearly awesome looking as your handsome guy.
He seems to have great type, as well as your girls.
Can't wait to see the photos of the offspring.

Here's the chicks...................... it's raining here today so they look a bit scruffy !!

On Alert !!! My Rottweiler had just poked her head in the coop !!

Back
Top Bottom