Mourning hens?

Jackie-83

Songster
May 26, 2020
Alabama
I had 8 hens until Saturday. One of my girls died. The others didn't any different at first. "Old B****" was at the top of the pecking order, so I expected some bickering from my girls but I've noticed some other things that I don't understand. First, the next in the pecking order (and the one I expect to be the new boss of the coop) has been going to roost an hour earlier than normal. Secondly, one of my girls (lower in the pecking order, near the bottom) is losing frathers from her back. When she holds her tail up you don't really notice but when her tail feathers are relaxed you can see it. Also, my egg production has dropped off. I was getting an egg a day from each hen. Now im getting 5 eggs a day from 7 chickens. Are my girls mourning/readjusting or is there something else i should be concerned about? I'm new to chickens. These are my first and I've only had them a few months.

If a member of the flock suddenly dies/disappears, it'll throw things off. Not sure if they're really "mourning" but they're likely stressed from the sudden change, which would explain the lack of eggs and some other off behavior. I'd keep an eye on the one with missing feathers though, don't want that to become a bigger issue.

If a member of the flock suddenly dies/disappears, it'll throw things off. Not sure if they're really "mourning" but they're likely stressed from the sudden change, which would explain the lack of eggs and some other off behavior. I'd keep an eye on the one with missing feathers though, don't want that to become a bigger issue.
Any ideas on what may be happening to those feathers? Its not lile there is a pile in the coop or run anywhere... but they are free range from about noon to 8 pm everyday, so maybe they are coming out while they are loose. But im not seeing them in they yard either.

Could be feather picking based on location (base of tail seems to be a favorite spot for picking) so you want to keep an eye on any signs of them actively picking at each other.
So the others may be doing it to her? How do I make them stop? Shes not bald yet... but i don'twant het to be!

It could be a combination of factors, either boredom (but that's less likely with free ranging) or protein deficiency in their diet (again, less likely with free range time, however if their feed is low in protein (16% or less) it could be a cause).

I wouldn't panic yet, just keep an eye on it for now, in case it's not due to picking. As a precaution I'd check her over for mites and lice as well.

Check her at night especially - look for signs of parasites like mites crawling in all the warm places - around the tail, vent, under the wings - take a good flashlight, check under your roosting bar and check all the areas mentioned. If nothing else, to rule that out. If not mites, there are other nasties that can drive a hen to pick her own feathers out.

Back
Top Bottom