movable fencing?

ausamerican33

Songster
11 Years
Aug 5, 2008
Wendell, NC
We have 14 chickens, and a 10X10 (I think) coop that we move around the pasture. Right now, we have a 10x8 dog kennel that we move with it for a small run - mainly the chickens free range anyway. However, there has been several circumstances where they've had to be put in "lock down" - mainly for broody behavior, eggs in strange places, stray dog sightings. So, I'd like to have a fencing system that can be taken down and put up without a lot of hassle, b/c we move the coop every few months. In my mind, I have this picture of the fencing systems used for babies, or the ones for hampsters - they can basically fold up accordian like, and be stretched out to different shapes. Has anyone ever heard of something like this for chickens? I'd want it at least 5 ft high - I'm tired of trying to crawl under the tarp hanging at 4 feet. Does anyone use a similar system, or am I just dreaming up something that is not actually possible to make?

I am going to use 12' x 6' Kennel panels. They are very light and you can use multiple panels in a row. They attach with the kennel clamps. I am in the fence biz. so we have alot of them around. we use them as temp. Fence. I am also going to use them as the roof. Good Luck.

Are they chain link panels? Can you clip them together, and then remove the clips easily to move them? Thanks for the info! Oh - where can I get them??

Most major home stores sell 6x6 panels that you can just clip together. You can use as many as you like. There is usually a bolt holding the clips together, so you can undo the bolt if you ever want to take it apart or change the shape.

I LOVE those panels-- unfortunately, we couldn't afford them last season, and were told that they HAD to have fence posts to attach to-- we didn't want posts all over the yard.... so we had to use a less expensive and more temporary fence...

We used the new plastic fence posts that have a metal spike at the bottom-- they just push into the ground! They have clips down the sides to attach your fencing--easy on, easy off!

We used the 5-ft posts with a 100ft roll of chicken wire, and a big sheet of bird/deer netting over the top... and put a tarp over one side for shade...

It works in a pinch until you can get more permanent fencing!

Posts with a spike sound cool!! It has to be fairly movable, as we move the coop with our 4 wheeler every couple of months. I just don't know anything about fencing - I'm sure there are much more knowledgable people than I.
smile.png

Someone else mentioned on here that they use wooden snow fence for their pastured area and I plan on trying it to extend my 13 by 7 dog kennel area. I figure I can have about 6 different configurations coming off the gate to rotate and preserve the grass. I will also throw netting over it and only let them in there when I will be home to lock them up. I was going to use some welded wire fencing we already have, but I think the snow fence will be easier to roll up and move. Are the plastic posts mentioned here really plastic or are they the fiberglass ones from TSC? Where can I get them?

Quote:
They are chain link panels. I am going to put green fabric on the a to block the sun rain and neighbors. Home depot I think sells 10x 6 panels. The clamps just use a bolt. U do not need posts if u have a roof or don't go over 2 panels long. Good luck I'll post pics when I am done next week.

Quote:
They are chain link panels. I am going to put green fabric on them to block the sun rain and neighbors. Home depot I think sells 10x 6 panels. The clamps just use a bolt. U do not need posts if u have a roof or don't go over 2 panels long. Good luck I'll post pics when I am done next week.

Thanks! I think 2 panels long would be enough, so it'll be great not to have posts. I can probably hook them onto the coop, I think. I'll need to have a door somewhere in there, though.
smile.png
Please post your pictures when you're done - I'd love to see it!

Back
Top Bottom