Moveable coop/run vs permanent?

tandc93

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 7, 2011
We've have a moveable coop and run...it's pretty heavy and we have to use the truck to move it. I like that they're able to have fresh grass when we move it, but they go through the fresh grass so fast, I'm not sure it's really worth it. I have been debating just putting it in a location and putting a pen around it to give them a bigger area to run. It seems like most people I see just have chickens running/staying in dirt enclosures. Is this really ok? (My husband has to do the moving and he really is NOT fond of it....)

(You can see pictures of our coop, pre-chickens, at http://themiracleofthemoment.blogspot.com/2010/01/chicken-update.html)

Charlene

if you do make it permanent then make sure they get greens every time you guys cut your grass bag the clippings and feed them to your chickens

I wouldn't want to fool with a movable coop, either. I have a 64' x'64' yard and 15 or so chickens keep it pretty bare, so I wind up letting them out a lot, especially in warmer months. They LOVE to be turned loose after the grass is mowed.

ddawn, Do they come back in easily? I'd hate to have to be chasing them down. We have 6 acres and it's not safe to leave them out. For some reason area dogs like to come in our yard and we are NOT dog people...

Back
Top Bottom