Moved my babies to their new brooder

Aug 6, 2021
Indiana
That's the broody momma I had to take them from. She's talking sweet to them.
I wish I could let her in, but I'm afraid because it's been almost two weeks. I figure she forgot about them.

Attachments

• IMG_20220726_104714534.jpg
    IMG_20220726_104714534.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220726_104146421.jpg
    IMG_20220726_104146421.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220726_103014885.jpg
    IMG_20220726_103014885.jpg
    616.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220726_101841830.jpg
    IMG_20220726_101841830.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
That's the broody momma I had to take them from. She's talking sweet to them.
I wish I could let her in, but I'm afraid because it's been almost two weeks. I figure she forgot about them.
Why did you take them from her in the first place?
You can always open the door and stick around to monitor and see how she behaves with them.

Why did you take them from her in the first place?
You can always open the door and stick around to monitor and see how she behaves with them.
Because half her eggs were destroyed. On day 14, 3: were destroyed and eaten. I cleaned up the nesting box she seemed okay the next day over half the eggs were destroyed and eaten. And I was advised here on the board to remove them and put them into an incubator. Which I did to finish the incubating cycle and then after hatching I've had them in the house for 3 Days waiting for my new brooder pen to arrive.

Last edited:
Because half her eggs were destroyed. On day 14, 3: were destroyed and eaten. I cleaned up the nesting box she seemed okay the next day over half the eggs were destroyed and eaten. And I was advised here on the board to remove them and put them into an incubator. Which I did. For finishing the incubating cycle and then hatching I've had them in the house for 3 Days waiting for my new brooder pen to arrive.
Can you be sure it was her that destroyed the eggs and not a predator?
Again, I would allow her access to the chicks and see how she does with them.

Can you be sure it was her that destroyed the eggs and not a predator?
Again, I would allow her access to the chicks and see how she does with them.
It was not a predator, it was either my Easter egger, which is the one I think it was or one of the other hens. Like my lavender orpington.
I also been told that the mom would get rid of eggs that she thought were not viable, so it could have been her getting rid of the eggs that the other chicks laid there, before I marked the fertile eggs that we received from a friend. But I do know that at least three of the eggs were fertile that was cracked or destroyed my lavender orpington step on two crushed one which was fertile, while laying her egg on top of the pile. I had thought all the other chickens had started laying in the two other nesting boxes that were separate from these. I did not know that I had to quarantine her, this was my first time so it was a hard lesson learned. But to make sure the other eggs were not hurt or destroyed I was advised here in another thread, to put them in the incubator which is what I did.

It was not a predator, it was either my Easter egger, which is the one I think it was or one of the other hens. Like my lavender orpington.
I also been told that the mom would get rid of eggs that she thought were not viable, so it could have been her getting rid of the eggs that the other chicks laid there, before I marked the fertile eggs that we received from a friend. But I do know that at least three of the eggs were fertile that was cracked or destroyed my lavender orpington step on two crushed one which was fertile, while laying her egg on top of the pile. I had thought all the other chickens had started laying in the two other nesting boxes that were separate from these. I did not know that I had to quarantine her, this was my first time so it was a hard lesson learned. But to make sure the other eggs were not hurt or destroyed I was advised here in another thread, to put them in the incubator which is what I did.
The reason I think it was the Easter egger is because the broody mama went up to one of the other nests and was sitting on a new egg and the Easter egger was doing everything she could to get to her while my Sapphire gem was going after the Easter egger. My black Australop was firm on her nest but it's inside the coop, by the ceiling it's not really a nest at all they just made it one. I moved her back to the nesting box with her one unfertilized egg, hoping if she kept broody I could reintroduce the chicks to her once they hatched.

She left that nesting box as a matter of fact none of my chickens will lay in that nesting box now. Even though I have cleaned it and sun bleached it and added new bedding to it. But my Easter egger went down in that nesting box and was pecking at that egg trying to get it open.

Since then the australop has lost interest in brooding, she does show some interest to the baby chicks but not enough for me to put her in that pen with the babies.

Last edited:
I have a broody I am letting sit on eggs right now. I had to separate her because my boss hen kept breaking her eggs. I caught her in the act. I think you did the right thing. Does she seem interested in the chicks?
Sort of but not a lot. She kind of did this sweet little talk they do when they kind of purr but then she left and went to eat and she's been in and out and she looks at them but all of them are looking at them right now.

Back
Top Bottom