Moved to a New larger enclosure, 2-3 week old chicks 'getting after each other'

superdeluxe

Songster
6 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Morning everyone,

This might be me being a little paranoid. Anyways we moved the ladies from a large tupperware bin to a much roomier space. The smaller space the girls were doing their flapping wings and running around and they would kind of 'face off against' each other. We thought moving them into the lower enclosure, but now they are flapping around even more and 'facing off' with each other.

Now no one is being really mean to each other. But they are still sort of 'getting after it' Is this normal chick behavior at 3 weeks? My understanding is the 'pecking order' scuffles would start around 6 weeks?

Morning everyone,

This might be me being a little paranoid. Anyways we moved the ladies from a large tupperware bin to a much roomier space. The smaller space the girls were doing their flapping wings and running around and they would kind of 'face off against' each other. We thought moving them into the lower enclosure, but now they are flapping around even more and 'facing off' with each other.

Now no one is being really mean to each other. But they are still sort of 'getting after it' Is this normal chick behavior at 3 weeks? My understanding is the 'pecking order' scuffles would start around 6 weeks?

I see this behavior as early as 10-13 days, it’s typically slowed down some by the time I integrate with the flock at 16-19 days, they are more focused on avoiding hens at that point!

Thanks everyone, yeah there isn't any blood drawing or anything. Glad that it is normal behavior at this age!

Back
Top Bottom