linmar

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 30, 2009
lebanon NH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=977QWoLB9Ls

all
different ages.

The Rhode Island Red and the whiskered Ameracauna survived a fox attack several years ago. The Buff Orpington the the sleek Ameracauna replaced the hens killed by the fox about 1.5 years ago. We drove these hens from Colorado to New Hampshire. Last Sept, we bought 2 Dominiques, one of which turned out to be a handsome boy, and a Speckeled Sussex. The Buff O had been at the bottom of the pecking order. Now she is the most intolerant of the younguns. See how she chases Pep! We named the Dominiques Salt and Pepper. The Sussex is still Lit'l Brown. The original hens were named after opera singers, and 2 suffered a tragic demise, screaming to the very end. We gave up on the opera thing and named the replacements Thelma and Louise, but we don't let them in the front of the car.

All nine of us are tired of this snow. I am buying hay bales and throwing it under the buildings. They like to scratch in it and sometimes find a seed. Giving them left-overs that are difficult to eat keeps them from being bored with those same-ole-stuff pellets.

Aww! what beutiful hens! oh and handsome rooster of course!
wink.png

Hi from Merrimack, New Hampshire. Loved the video. Your little flock is very handsome.

One caution is to be very careful with the hay. I did the same thing last year and 2 of my hens had impacted crops. Both had surgery but only 1 survived. The vet said they were 'missing' something in their diet so this year I give them frozen chopped spinach that I thaw and squeeze out the extra water. They also get all kinds of left overs including their favorite spaghetti. Yesterday I gave them a Valentine cabbage. My husband says that I'm crazy and I guess I am.

Thanks again for the treat!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom