Moving Chicks Outside?

Thanks my chicks look completely feathered compared to some of your pics. They are in their coop with the ramp run open which they were able to climb up and down from yesterday. They seem to be comfortable with their surroundings for sure. When you mention keeping them locked up do you mean not letting them run their coop? The run to the coop is gated so they would not be free range if we place them outside.

What I mean by keeping them locked up is to keep them inside the coop only. They shouldn't have access to the run at all. Once access to the run is given, they will know to return to the coop by themselves at dusk. This will be extremely helpful to you because then you won't have to go out and force them to go inside. All you would have to do is close the door to the coop.

I have 5 two-week old Red Sex Links and they went to the chicken run at the end of week one. The weather has been great and they are growing so fast that they have loved it. I leave them access to the coop and leave the brooder light on if it is cool. They go to the box at night and are thriving thus far.
This is my first foray into chickens and I am learning from the great conversation on BYC and through my own trials. This works the best for me, but to each their own.
Everything seems to be great so far so I think moving them to your desired location is just a trial of your own. Just take precautions from predators and weather and they do the rest.

In hot weather areas chicks do not need heat provided for as long as in colder areas - the last of our snow only melted 2 weeks ago, and daytime temps average in the 50's, far too cold for young chicks without heat.

I think it's time for 5 1/2 week old chicks to go into the big lot with my Cochins what do you guys think
5 1/2 old chicks can go outside as long as the temperature is decent. Make sure you introduce the chicks to the adults properly or else the chicks will be bullied and may get injured.

I moved them beside the others yesterday and they do not seem to care will put them in dog kennels to introduce they are almost as big as my Cochins temps at night getting in the 50s I could put heat lamp in the big coop if needed

At five weeks old, my temps were in the low 60s and they were just fine. I think they will be okay. They will huddle together. Watch their behavior, if they seem really cold add a heat lamp.

Back
Top Bottom