Moving cockerel and rooster to separate pen?

ButtonquailGirl14

Crossing the Road
Jul 13, 2017
Northport WA
Hey Flock! My Rooster is being way too rough on his 9 hens, and he's going to spend some alone time in this (just ordered it) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OVUBOAK/?tag=backy-20 I will put him in the coop with the girls at night, and remove him during the day so my hens have some time to heal. My main question is can I put my Cockerel with him? I Love my little boy, but I'm trying not to repeat the mistake I made with my roo... Let him be a "Big Man" of the coop.. he started showing behaviors I don't like, and I'm hoping my rooster (Tango) can teach him some manners.. but will it even work if there are no hens in with them? Would my rooster get too aggressive with the cockerel?

Consider culling both of them, not all roosters work in a particular flock.

I think that your roosters are going to get very wise to the fact that you are catching them each morning to separate them. I think that will get very difficult. Just leave them separated in the pen 24/7.

2 obnoxious roosters are way too many roosters for 9 hens. Many people do keep bachelor pens. You will enjoy your hens much more with out watching the stress added by the roosters.

There are good roosters out there, but hoping and wishing really does not work with most roosters most of the time. With roosters, you always need a plan B, .... or C....or D. I am glad that you are setting up a plan B, but I would not be surprised if that did not work either, so get a plan C ready too.

Mrs K

Highly likely.
ok... Bummer.

Yes the rooster will be aggressive with your cockerel. I know we all have our own reasons but you don't really need two roosters with 9 hens, maybe consider re-homing one of them.
I should have clarified, I also have seven other pullets in a separate flock with the cockerel. I would really hate to have to re-home... But whatever is best for my flock.

Consider culling both of them, not all roosters work in a particular flock.

I think that your roosters are going to get very wise to the fact that you are catching them each morning to separate them. I think that will get very difficult. Just leave them separated in the pen 24/7.

2 obnoxious roosters are way too many roosters for 9 hens. Many people do keep bachelor pens. You will enjoy your hens much more with out watching the stress added by the roosters.

There are good roosters out there, but hoping and wishing really does not work with most roosters most of the time. With roosters, you always need a plan B, .... or C....or D. I am glad that you are setting up a plan B, but I would not be surprised if that did not work either, so get a plan C ready too.

Mrs K
I can just grab them out of the coop each morning, plus the cockerel loves me and I could catch him anywhere.. the problem is I have no way to keep the roosters safe at night unless I put them back in the coop... Also, I should have clarified, I also have 7 other pullets besides the 9 hens.

ok... Bummer.

I should have clarified, I also have seven other pullets in a separate flock with the cockerel. I would really hate to have to re-home... But whatever is best for my flock.

I can just grab them out of the coop each morning, plus the cockerel loves me and I could catch him anywhere.. the problem is I have no way to keep the roosters safe at night unless I put them back in the coop... Also, I should have clarified, I also have 7 other pullets besides the 9 hens.
You said you have a separate flock. Can't you put the pullets in with the hens and use their pen for the roos?

Of course all of us giving advice, are doing so with the best of intentions, but the written word often times does not give a complete picture. People tend to leave out what is obvious to them.

I am going to go with 1 rooster is still enough roosters for 16 hens. We all decide to keep or cull birds on our own guidelines.

Ridgerunner says and I agree, keep the least number of roosters for your needs. You are the only one that can determine the needs.

Experience on here states that more roosters need more space. If you are more back-yard like, less is best.... if you are more farm like, well more is possibly (not always) doable.

Mrs K

Of course all of us giving advice, are doing so with the best of intentions, but the written word often times does not give a complete picture. People tend to leave out what is obvious to them.

I am going to go with 1 rooster is still enough roosters for 16 hens. We all decide to keep or cull birds on our own guidelines.

Ridgerunner says and I agree, keep the least number of roosters for your needs. You are the only one that can determine the needs.

Experience on here states that more roosters need more space. If you are more back-yard like, less is best.... if you are more farm like, well more is possibly (not always) doable.

Mrs K
well, I have two separate flocks at the moment, so I was wanting one rooster per flock.. I really love my new cockerel, but I have to keep my rooster because I promised the owner a good home for him.. idk.. I just am trying to find any way to keep my Cockerel:hmm

Back
Top Bottom