Moving Ducklings outside ?

RaisingDucks2020

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2020
Fresh bedding after a nice swim outside 🦆

When did you move your ducklings outside? The recommended 6 week mark? Sooner or later? .. I'm in no rush to move them, my Mallards are really starting to get feathers now..(they are 1 week older then the pekins) the pekins feathers are slowing coming in! this is my first time raising ducklings 🦆 I sure do enjoy watching them grow!

Attachments

• 20200419_192109.jpg
    20200419_192109.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 16
Fresh bedding after a nice swim outside 🦆

When did you move your ducklings outside? The recommended 6 week mark? Sooner or later? .. I'm in no rush to move them, my Mallards are really starting to get feathers now..(they are 1 week older then the pekins) the pekins feathers are slowing coming in! this is my first time raising ducklings 🦆 I sure do enjoy watching them grow!
it will completely depend on where you live and what the temperatures are.

Most people will give you different answers, but the general consensus is: after their feathers have come in.

However, my three Pekins (first time duck mama here too!) outgrew their brooder and I had nowhere to keep them outside of that in my house, they were strong and seemed okay. So I moved them to the coop, but moved their heat lamp with them so they wouldn’t be cold, because they don’t have all their feathers yet. My outside temps during the night are still in the 30’s, but 60-70 during the day, which is another reason they have the heat lamp.

Again, most people have differing opinions, so take them into consideration, and do what you feel is best for your birds!

Like DuckyDonna Said, it greatly depends on your temperature. It's best to wait until they have their adult feathers in before you let them out all day so they can maintain heat better as well as repel water, in the meantime, you can acclimate them to the temps slowly by letting them out for little trips every day, just watch and make sure they aren't cold.

Thank you all for the replies! It's still pretty chilly here at night in the low 30s as well.. I'm in Pennsylvania! We've been having some decent afternoon temps. I'll start letting them out a little more each day. My outside coop has heat so they will always be toasty when its cold out 😁 but for now they will enjoy most of their days inside!

Thank you all for the replies! It's still pretty chilly here at night in the low 30s as well.. I'm in Pennsylvania! We've been having some decent afternoon temps. I'll start letting them out a little more each day. My outside coop has heat so they will always be toasty when its cold out 😁 but for now they will enjoy most of their days inside!

Getting down that low, I'd wait till they have most of their adult feathers in. :)

I once had a young duckling as her mother had been hit. I moved her outside when her feathers started coming through, just for the day to get used to it. I gradually left her out longer and then when she was old enough not to rely on me i released her back on to a nearby pond. She’s still doing well (she has a blue chicken ring round her foot so i can identify her). One day i hope to see her with her own ducklings 🐥 Good luck with your little ones!

I once had a young duckling as her mother had been hit. I moved her outside when her feathers started coming through, just for the day to get used to it. I gradually left her out longer and then when she was old enough not to rely on me i released her back on to a nearby pond. She’s still doing well (she has a blue chicken ring round her foot so i can identify her). One day i hope to see her with her own ducklings 🐥 Good luck with your little ones!
Also depends on the temperature i suppose but if it’s warm enough, move them outside for a couple of hours for them to get used to it.

You have heat in your coop? care to show us and explain what your using sounds very interesting. :welcome Plus we want to see those babies too.

Back
Top Bottom