Moving out of state and taking my chickens--help!

Betty Buff

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 26, 2013
Auburn, WA
We are moving out of state and will have to drive 20 hours and we are leaving no chicken behind. How do I transport the girls? I have no clue what to do. We have 3 chickens and they are our backyard chicken pets. I'm not concerned about the laws of owning chickens where I'm going, so no need to mention that, just the transporting of them in vehicles. We are bringing their coop somehow (too many hours/money spent on it, and it's pretty badass) and I was hoping someone out there in the BYC community had done this before and can help me. I am already freaking out because we have to move sooner than I had anticipated, so keeping our girls safe and happy is a big concern of mine,
I am grateful for any help you all can lend!
-Marie, Betty's mom

I'm not sure with the long trip, but putting them in a small crate, with room to stretch their wings, and offer water every time you stop, I'd think they'd be ok.

But I'm sure someone else has experience with this kind of move.

Thank you. I think we will just have to put them in the dog kennel with a towel so they don't slide around. They will be unhappy, but I'm sure their little brains won't dwell on it too much :)

I'd line the edge of the crate with cardboard about 6 inches high and use pine shavings to soak up the poops.
I've transported a few, not that far, but found that if they feel unsteady on their feet, they'll hunker down then stand back up when the ride smooths back out.

We made it safe and even had one of the girls lay an egg!
Everyone I tell about this laughs their butts off when they picture me in a VW GTI with three chickens in a cardboard box and a Beagle in the front seat. It was pretty hilarious! At one point they all escaped the box and were perched on top of the box, sitting on the cooler, and trying to get up to me in the drivers seat! It was a very hot drive through the central valley of CA but everyone is fine. I tried feeding them a ton of berries but no one seemed interested in eating. It took us about 24 hours so I was very concerned, but they were right back to normal as soon as we arrived.
They are so silly! hahaha

:gig

I think this is a little worse than my move! I moved 6 of my chickens from VA to TN, but not in my car! We put them in a very large hutch, with a rabbit water bottle and feeder, inside a horse trailer. We moved with 6 chickens, 1 rabbit, 2 cats and 2 dogs. Its was an experience, that's for sure!

Glad you made it safe and sound, love the pic!

Last edited:
We made it safe and even had one of the girls lay an egg!
Everyone I tell about this laughs their butts off when they picture me in a VW GTI with three chickens in a cardboard box and a Beagle in the front seat. It was pretty hilarious! At one point they all escaped the box and were perched on top of the box, sitting on the cooler, and trying to get up to me in the drivers seat! It was a very hot drive through the central valley of CA but everyone is fine. I tried feeding them a ton of berries but no one seemed interested in eating. It took us about 24 hours so I was very concerned, but they were right back to normal as soon as we arrived.
They are so silly! hahaha

OMGosh!!! You rode with them lose in the car?!?!?
Are they panting or bawking?

They weren't loose for long! And they were panting with the occasional bawk. They were very chatty amongst themselves though the whole time!

Back
Top Bottom