moving the ducklings outside....

My ducklings are 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 weeks old, 2 Pekins, a Welsh Harlequin, a Rouen and a Runner. They have outgrown their indoor cage and I've prepped an old dog run outside with a small kidie pool. They have spent the last 3 days out there all day.

I'm in CEntral Arizona (Phoenix Area). nighttime temps are currently in the low 50s. There is no heat source out there, but they do have a plastic box with hay in it that they can get under cover and nestle into.

Will this set up work? can they stay outside at night now? The Pekins and Welsh are the oldest, and largest by FAR. The Rouen and the Runner are smaller. They're better swimmers, but I worry a little about them getting cold at night, even if they cuddle with the Pekins.
I personally would be very careful with them at this age and would keep up with supplemental heat. They are still a bit young to be getting wet and not having enough enough adult feathers to retain or produce proper body temps without chilling.

Birds acclimate to their environment and those hatched in colder climates can tolerate colder brooding temps. In areas of huge temp swings, birds even chicks adapt to wildly fluctuating temperatures. 50 degrees in your climate is cold for small ducklings, this temp might feel warmer to ducklings hatched further up north. It's all about adapting right now, everything in their environment is giving them clues on surviving in their territory and it's very important to work with your situation and not others. Why risk it? They will be fully feathered soon, if they were my babies, I would keep them under heat for at least a couple more weeks.

Good luck with your ducklings, they sure are precious at this age! 🦆

I personally would be very careful with them at this age and would keep up with supplemental heat. They are still a bit young to be getting wet and not having enough enough adult feathers to retain or produce proper body temps without chilling.

Birds acclimate to their environment and those hatched in colder climates can tolerate colder brooding temps. In areas of huge temp swings, birds even chicks adapt to wildly fluctuating temperatures. 50 degrees in your climate is cold for small ducklings, this temp might feel warmer to ducklings hatched further up north. It's all about adapting right now, everything in their environment is giving them clues on surviving in their territory and it's very important to work with your situation and not others. Why risk it? They will be fully feathered soon, if they were my babies, I would keep them under heat for at least a couple more weeks.

Good luck with your ducklings, they sure are precious at this age! 🦆
Thanks.. we opted to bring them in at night and have them out during the day, when its in the high 70s, they are doing great. they can easily get in and out of the water, and have been. in a couple more weeks, we'll revisit leaving them out, it'll be in the 60s at night by April

I don't see any indication that the OP is looking at any of these posts. Hummmmm. :idunno
I've been away from computer for several days...I have read them though! we opted to have them outside during the day and bring them in at night for a little while longer. They are doing really well and LOVE having the extra space outside and access to a pool (which has multiple rocks and they can all get in and out easily)

Thanks.. we opted to bring them in at night and have them out during the day, when its in the high 70s, they are doing great. they can easily get in and out of the water, and have been. in a couple more weeks, we'll revisit leaving them out, it'll be in the 60s at night by April
Sounds like a perfect plan! Glad they are doing well, enjoy them at this age, they grow so fast! :)

Back
Top Bottom