Moving to a new coop. Really need advice! I'm new here.

SuzClaytor

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2015
Bulls Gap, TN
I used to have 13 chickens, but they are now down to 5 due to a very small crack in our coop. I was devastated. I now call my chickens in at night (7:30) and they sleep in a large pet crate. We have built a brand new coop, but it several yards away from the house where they like to hang out. How do I transition them into the new coop and let them know where the house is? This may seem silly, but I don't want anything else to happen to my girls. I'm a little overprotective. I'm also new to this site so would appreciate any advice as to getting them in their comfort zone. It's the heat of the summer, but the new coop is vented. I don't feel comfortable leaving them in the coop all day, but is that what I have to do? It's under a tree and we live in the mountains but this weather is crazy. Do I just take them out there in their crate and let them adjust?

I'm sorry to hear about your chickens.
sad.png

Chickens will quickly find your house again, the problem will be getting them to stay in their coop! Move their crate into the coop, if you can, and keep them locked up in the coop a few days. If this is not an option, then lead them to the coop at night for a few days with some treats. However, make sure they don't come to expect treats every night!
smile.png
May just want to catch them and put them in their new coop.

A fan, ice in the water, dishes of water to stand in, plenty of shade, dirt to dust bathe in, frozen fruits and treats, and cold water bottles to lay up against can all help in hot weather.

I hope it all works out well. Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom