Moving with adult flock

Jonessa

Songster
5 Years
Apr 20, 2017
Vancouver Island
Hi all!
We are preparing to move to a new home, and will be bringing along our flock of 7 hens. I'm looking for some advice on how to make the trip as stress-free as possible.
They will be split between two large pet crates - the silkie and two others in a medium crate, and the four others in a large dog crate (the crates are the plastic ones, with solid bottom walls and slotted top walls). I will put towels on the bottoms of the crates so they're not slippery, and some shavings on top of that. The crates will be secured in the back of our pick-up truck, which is covered with a canopy.
The drive will take 7-8 hours, 2 hours of which will not actually be driving, we'll be on a large ferry. The move will take place on Easter wknd, so the weather will be mild.
A couple of specific questions I have:
- the truck canopy has screened windows - should they be open for airflow, or better to leave those closed?
- how should I handle food and water? I imagine they could go without food for that long, but probably not water? If they need water, what's the best way to deliver it? Being that the crates are plastic, I'm not sure there's a easy way to hang some kind of water dispenser, but I might be able to rig something up. They're used to horizontal nipples, so perhaps I would create a waterer of some kind.
- should I add anything (electrolytes, for example) to their water or food in the days preceding the move?
Thanks so much!!

I have never moved with chickens before so definitely wait and see what the others think. But I have heard that some people put fruit in the chicken’s crate when they are moving them. And that supplies the chickens with food and water.

A couple of specific questions I have:
- the truck canopy has screened windows - should they be open for airflow, or better to leave those closed?
Probably open. Might be good to take a test drive, someone sit back there, get up to speed, see how the air flows...tho I think with the type of carriers you have most of any drafts will be blocked for the birds. Definitely want them open on the ferry ride unless the wind is atrocious, you'll have to play it by eye/ear.
Sun being out could make a huge difference in how fast it heats up back there.

They're used to horizontal nipples, so perhaps I would create a waterer of some kind.
Well, that's a no brainer then...kinda.... I hang HN bottles on my wire crates easily.
This will get you started:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nipple-waterer-for-wire-crates-by-aart.72704/

- should I add anything (electrolytes, for example) to their water or food in the days preceding the move?
Wouldn't hurt to give them a dose of Sav-A-Chick electrolytes/vitamins as a boost a couple days prior to trip.

HTH.....Happy Trails!

Probably open. Might be good to take a test drive, someone sit back there, get up to speed, see how the air flows...tho I think with the type of carriers you have most of any drafts will be blocked for the birds. Definitely want them open on the ferry ride unless the wind is atrocious, you'll have to play it by eye/ear.
Sun being out could make a huge difference in how fast it heats up back there.

Well, that's a no brainer then...kinda.... I hang HN bottles on my wire crates easily.
This will get you started:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nipple-waterer-for-wire-crates-by-aart.72704/

Wouldn't hurt to give them a dose of Sav-A-Chick electrolytes/vitamins as a boost a couple days prior to trip.

HTH.....Happy Trails!
Thanks for the advice! I think you're right about the chickens being protected from drafts by the crates, as they will sit below the level of the slatted openings - but a test drive is a great idea.
As for the waterer, I'll see what I can fab up! I bet I could hang one on each of the crate doors.

Ah, yes, that should work!
Might have to modify the door mesh so nipple will fit thru...
...and make sure you use the smaller drill for nipple threads.
I bought a couple of chick waterers today, I think they’ll do the job nicely - and the openings in the red bases make perfect vents!
Is there a particular reason why you mount your waterers on the outside of the crate as opposed to the inside?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 3
If you are moving to a different state, find out ASAP what testing or paperwork will be necessary for this trip. Check with your veterinarian, and call the state vet's office, or USDA about it. Moving to another country is a very big project!
Otherwise, great advice above.
Mary

I would worry about over heating much more so than a draft. Moving at night will drastically reduce stress, but might not be an option. I would do the nipple waterers, and I would not do feed. But would feed them when I get there first thing. I would not add anything they are not used to, just good water.

I think heat might be your biggest problem, I vote keep it as open as possible. Chickens in a tighter confinement, will also produce a lot of heat.

Whenever I have traveled with birds, they just hunker down and wait for it to be over. They are pretty tough.

Ditto the advice on moving legally if you are leaving or entering a state.

Mrs K

If you are moving to a different state, find out ASAP what testing or paperwork will be necessary for this trip. Check with your veterinarian, and call the state vet's office, or USDA about it. Moving to another country is a very big project!
Otherwise, great advice above.
Mary
Great tips, thanks! Thankfully, my move is very simple - I'm in Canada, moving within my own province. :)

I would worry about over heating much more so than a draft. Moving at night will drastically reduce stress, but might not be an option. I would do the nipple waterers, and I would not do feed. But would feed them when I get there first thing. I would not add anything they are not used to, just good water.

I think heat might be your biggest problem, I vote keep it as open as possible. Chickens in a tighter confinement, will also produce a lot of heat.

Whenever I have traveled with birds, they just hunker down and wait for it to be over. They are pretty tough.

Ditto the advice on moving legally if you are leaving or entering a state.

Mrs K
We'll be making the trip during the day, but it looks like the weather is going to cooperate nicely - a high of 15 degrees Celsius, cloudy with a bit of rain. Perfect for travelling! :)
Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom