MPC Easter Egg GIVEAWAY!

The ones DH set were supposed to hatch on easter but we got one 2 days before. Then after the holiday he went to "man camp". I didn't have the heart to toss the other eggs in the bator but we're well past easter now. I picked up 3 chicks (for company of course) and I'll be darned if today ... THIS!!! :lol:
SURPRISE! lol
LOL, no kidding!! Is this normal?

Thank you, I do try to go that route, but sometimes my questions go unanswered and I'm made to feel stupid, plus there's so many ideas and opinions it can just muddle up my thoughts and directions. I will keep reading, and tweaking my incubator, I have three weeks, my biggest challenge is deciding which thermometer of my multiple ones to trust, and which temperature to choose, as well as humidity, dryer seems better. I had it all figured out until I added a fan kit, which changed everything.
1f601.png
That doesn't sound like the thread I'm referring to. We always encourage people to ask questions, and I would have a serious problem with someone making someone else feel stupid. While there may be different opinions on certain topics, we all agree on the basics. There's also info for calibrating thermometers and hygrometers, which is vital to a successful hatch. Different variables for different bators, so calibration and test runs are important before setting eggs.

Thank you, I think it's the route I'm going too, my basement has been around 50% humidity so I think it's adequate and I didn't plan on adding any water until lock down, now if I could get the temperature adjusted correctly, it seems to be different all over since adding the fan kit and I'm tempted to remove it, decisions, decisions. Thanks for the advice, I'll take any.
While the room humidity may be high, it'll always be lower inside the incubator. Dry incubation is not actually dry... it's low humidity, and never less than 30% RH. Different temps in different areas of a fan-forced system isn't all that uncommon. If it's not a fan designed for your bator, you may have to experiment with different fans. It takes adequate flow to stabilize temps throughout the bator, without excessive flow. I had to try many fans and combinations to find what worked best in my mini-fridge bator. If iit works properly, I'd prefer air over still any day. Just my 2c...

Last edited:
That doesn't sound like the thread I'm referring to. We always encourage people to ask questions, and I would have a serious problem with someone making someone else feel stupid. While there may be different opinions on certain topics, we all agree on the basics. There's also info for calibrating thermometers and hygrometers, which is vital to a successful hatch. Different variables for different bators, so calibration and test runs are important before setting eggs.

While the room humidity may be high, it'll always be lower inside the incubator. Dry incubation is not actually dry... it's low humidity, and never less than 30% RH. Different temps in different areas of a fan-forced system isn't all that uncommon. If it's not a fan designed for your bator, you may have to experiment with different fans. It takes adequate flow to stabilize temps throughout the bator, without excessive flow. I had to try many fans and combinations to find what worked best in my mini-fridge bator. If iit works properly, I'd prefer air over still any day. Just my 2c...
Thanks, trying not to get frustrated and overwhelmed. I'm reading the thread you mentioned, I think.

Thanks, trying not to get frustrated and overwhelmed. I'm reading the thread you mentioned, I think.
It's easy to over-think things when starting off, but with practice you realize it's pretty easy. It boils down to steady temp, proper humidity, and adequate turning. Mother Nature takes care of the rest. One thing many people don't realize is that humidity isn't a set number. It MUST be based on air cell growth, or the lack thereof. Too little humidity, and the air cell grows too fast. Too much humidity, and the air cell grows to slowly. Often times, adjustments have to be made to speed up or slow down air cell growth. Some people weigh their eggs to measure weight loss, but with a little practice, air cell growth and size at certain stages (days 7, 14, and 18) will tell you all you need to know about weight loss.

This is the thead link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...riends-come-hatch-learn-chat-meet-new-friends

Last edited:
Well it was actually only the MPC eggs that we only got one chick of the seven eggs we received. We did much better on our own eggs though still not as good as I would have liked. Idk what to make of that. We also dry incubated until lockdown so I have no idea what caused the soggy eggs. We did have two days of rain early on which bumped the humidity and I added some rice to bring it down. All the eggs looked very good at lockdown.

Another strange thing was that one egg under a broody was also very soggy and wet and was found to be DIS.

It's always a learning process I guess we just hope this hatch goes better.

Thank you, I think it's the route I'm going too, my basement has been around 50% humidity so I think it's adequate and I didn't plan on adding any water until lock down, now if I could get the temperature adjusted correctly, it seems to be different all over since adding the fan kit and I'm tempted to remove it, decisions, decisions. Thanks for the advice, I'll take any.
jmo, the average egg temperature is what you need to base off of. Center mass of the eggs. Need thermometer to be level/in line with center mass.

hide.gif
I'm another one who gave up on the thread @oldhenlikesdogs mentioned, and you linked. I never felt bad or stupid (no stupider than I feel on a daily basis) but the truth is I couldn't keep up! I'd see a question and think, "Oh, yeah, I wanna know that too..." so I'd keep checking back to see if someone had answered. But it moves so doggone fast that the answer would be 10 pages back already and even as I was looking for it there's be another 5-10 "new posts" show up on the bottom of the page. Or there'd be a string of really interesting posts I'd be reading, and suddenly they were kinda lost in the new kerfluffle, with new facts and statistics that I'd get confused about, thinking at first they were part of the posts I was watching. See, I'm a nice lady - I just ain't the brightest crayon in the box.
idunno.gif

The people on there are great - so knowledgeable and willing to share experiences, advice, photos and videos and it's an incredibly valuable resource for anyone interested in incubation. Lots of fun, lots of teasing and lightheartedness too, and I always like that in a thread. So it's not that the thread disappoints in any way - it's simply that I couldn't keep up, and that's on me, not you and the other people there.

:oops:  I'm another one who gave up on the thread @oldhenlikesdogs
 mentioned, and you linked.  I never felt bad or stupid (no stupider than I feel on a daily basis) but the truth is I couldn't keep up!  I'd see a question and think, "Oh, yeah, I wanna know that too..." so I'd keep checking back to see if someone had answered.  But it moves so doggone fast that the answer would be 10 pages back already and even as I was looking for it there's be another 5-10 "new posts" show up on the bottom of the page.  Or there'd be a string of really interesting posts I'd be reading, and suddenly they were kinda lost in the new kerfluffle, with new facts and statistics that I'd get confused about, thinking at first they were part of the posts I was watching.  See, I'm a nice lady - I just ain't the brightest crayon in the box.  :idunno

The people on there are great - so knowledgeable and willing to share experiences, advice, photos and videos and it's an incredibly valuable resource for anyone interested in incubation.  Lots of fun, lots of teasing and lightheartedness too, and I always like that in a thread.  So it's not that the thread disappoints in any way - it's simply that I couldn't keep up, and that's on me, not you and the other people there.
I guess you and me Blooie are the dull brown crayons in the box that need sharpening, you can be burnt Umber, I'll be burnt Sienna. I think my crayon is also slightly melted.

Back
Top Bottom