MPC Super blue egg layer eggs

I believe Sea Wolf was asking if the Super Blue hens are homozygous for the blue egg color, or heterozygous. If you breed them to another blue egg laying bird (like an am.), will 100% of the offspring still lay blue eggs?

My super blues are on the way to me right now! Thanks for the thread!
smile.png

Thanks brit01! I've got both a Super Blue cockerel and 2 pullets to work with (11 weeks now), so I was wondering much the same thing. Some of the SBEL cockerels I've seen on various threads are white like the pullets. Mine (pictured multiple ages in this thread) is gray-- any word on cockerel color correlating with homozygous v. heterozygous ?

Thanks brit01! I've got both a Super Blue cockerel and 2 pullets to work with (11 weeks now), so I was wondering much the same thing. Some of the SBEL cockerels I've seen on various threads are white like the pullets. Mine (pictured multiple ages in this thread) is gray-- any word on cockerel color correlating with homozygous v. heterozygous ?

So sorry for the misunderstanding. The F1 cross that you are getting from eggs and chicks has a 1/32 chance of not carrying the blue egg gene. Typically this is discovered by a straight comb in F1s that are from Americauanas.

The F1 X F1 or F1 X AM have a much much lower chance of not carrying the blue egg gene and again should be distinguished by a straight comb. There will be a greater than 1/64 chance of the F2 not carrying the blue egg gene.

I hope this helps.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

I ordered eggs from MPC - Blue bar Cuckoos - that lay Blue Eggs - I have no clue as these are first generation - I am hoping they are also auto sexing like the creme leg bars. Mine come week of 04July2016
I think they are a mix of Auracanas, barred rocks and Cuckoo Marans They lay Blue eggs so I will have to wait and see.

I had cream legbars from Green fire farms a long time ago - They were tiny but very pretty. The Roo was gorgeous. Mine didn't have the pronounced head crests they were from the first batch Green fire farms sold. They laid greenish blue eggs and the pullet went broody after laying her fourth egg. I also was giving my flock lots of oyster shell too. Heard they go broody with calcium.

Caroline

So sorry for the misunderstanding. The F1 cross that you are getting from eggs and chicks has a 1/32 chance of not carrying the blue egg gene. Typically this is discovered by a straight comb in F1s that are from Americauanas.

The F1 X F1 or F1 X AM have a much much lower chance of not carrying the blue egg gene and again should be distinguished by a straight comb. There will be a greater than 1/64 chance of the F2 not carrying the blue egg gene.

I hope this helps.

Alex
My Pet Chicken 

Yes that does help Alex, thank you! My SBEL chicks arrived healthy and happy today in Alaska! I'm very excited to have them :)

I ordered eggs from MPC - Blue bar Cuckoos - that lay Blue Eggs - I have no clue as these are first generation - I am hoping they are also auto sexing like the creme leg bars. Mine come week of 04July2016
I think they are a mix of Auracanas, barred rocks and Cuckoo Marans They lay Blue eggs so I will have to wait and see.

I had cream legbars from Green fire farms a long time ago - They were tiny but very pretty. The Roo was gorgeous. Mine didn't have the pronounced head crests they were from the first batch Green fire farms sold. They laid greenish blue eggs and the pullet went broody after laying her fourth egg. I also was giving my flock lots of oyster shell too. Heard they go broody with calcium.

Caroline
I LOVE the Cuckoo Bluebars. They are so hardy and such a different look in the flock. Sadly, they aren't auto-sexing. Also, while I can't give out the proprietary recipe it takes to create this fantastic breed...none of the breeds you listed are in the recipe.
hide.gif

I'm so sorry that your GFF Legbars laid a green egg. Personally, I have a flock of Cream Legbars that I breed and love them. I'm a stickler for egg size and color though.

Yes that does help Alex, thank you! My SBEL chicks arrived healthy and happy today in Alaska! I'm very excited to have them
smile.png

YAY! That is such good news. What a long trip those little fluff balls have been on! I can't wait to see pictures as they grow out.
love.gif

Alex
My Pet Chicken

I have two Bluebar rooster that are about three and a half months. Of all the rooster I have a total of 8 they are the worst rooster. They attack any hen that comes near. Weather they are ready to lay or not. Hen are the same age and one month younger then the rooster. They are beautiful birds but what horn dogs. I have six bluebars eggs in the incubator so I'm hoping for some hens this time. Uno and duce will be getting a new coop all to them selves if they do not shape up.

I hope this helps.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Yes, thank you, that is great information to know! Still a ways out from laying eggs but excited to see what they do!

I have two Bluebar rooster that are about three and a half months. Of all the rooster I have a total of 8 they are the worst rooster. They attack any hen that comes near. Weather they are ready to lay or not. Hen are the same age and one month younger then the rooster. They are beautiful birds but what horn dogs. I have six bluebars eggs in the incubator so I'm hoping for some hens this time. Uno and duce will be getting a new coop all to them selves if they do not shape up.
Oh I'm sorry! Mine were "enthusiastic" but weren't nearly as bad as the Black Copper Marans young roosters I have. I swear, they are the WORST with the hormones.
somad.gif

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Hi! I just found this thread. I hatched two SBEL from MPC in early Feb, one pullet and one cockerel. Here they are:

They are both white with black flecks. I also hatched a SCEL cockerel and he is also white with a little black except he has feathers on his feet. Lastly, I hatched out three Blue Sex Link as well from MPC.

My SBEL pullet in the above picture started laying last week. She lays every other day...a green egg!!! I thought she'd lay blue eggs, but I'm fine with green too! She's very loud and talkative now as well. Comparable to my light brown leghorn in talk-a-tiveness. If I'm near the coop she'll tell me stories until I leave.

I bought several of the SBELs and to be honest, I would be very upset if they laid green eggs. These were very expensive birds.

Alex, if I can ask ... it appears that the SBELs are a first generation then? So, if you had a SBEL rooster and allowed it to breed with the hens and try to hatch the resulting eggs ... your chances of getting hens that also lay blue eggs would not be very good then? Would the eggs be a mix of white, brown, blue and green?

Back
Top Bottom