MPC Super blue egg layer eggs

dekel18042

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Pennsylvania
Has anyone gotten the super blue egg layer eggs from MPC? I've been thinking about them and wonder if they differ from Easter egger egg colors or cream legbar blue eggs.
Are they a true blue or a robin's egg blue?

These are my MPC Super Blue Egg Layers. They are 5 weeks old tomorrow.

Marigold on left, clover on right. Marigold's comb has started turning pink in the last week. You can kind of see that Clover has little muffs. They both have tails that they hold upright, and look just like my white leghorn pullet.

Clover's comb is not pink at all. She has 5 black feathers coming in at 3 different locations.
Marigold has one black feather on top of her head.

A little better view of Marigold's (on right) pinkish comb.

Clover and Marigold as baby chicks.

Okay what about Blue layer to blue layer. I have BlueBar and True Blue hens and Roosters. I should get all blue eggs or at least 75-80 % right. I really am not good on genetics.

Qualifying with "this is my understanding":

There are two egg shell colors, blue and white.

Brown eggs are white eggs with brown pigment.
Green eggs are blue eggs with brown pigment.

Blue layers have to have one copy of a blue gene to make blue eggs- the second copy (one from mom, one from dad) can be white or blue. If it's white, the egg is a lighter color of blue. If it's blue (in theory), the egg should be .... bluer. Of course, only the pullets eventually lay eggs and show us the color of that egg, so figuring out the rooster's genes is more a practice in observation or close selection over many generations.

So, for any one mating with your blue layers, say your True Blue Rooster and a True Blue Hen.

There are four scenarios.

First: The easiest is True Blue Rooster has two copies of the blue gene (so, he can only pass on a blue egg gene), and True Blue Hen has two copies of the blue gene. That dream scenario means ALL blue eggs for that pair and they should be 'bluer' and can only pass blue to offspring.

Second: Now say the rooster has one blue egg gene and one white egg gene. Now he can give his offspring either copy. If the hen has two copies of the blue egg gene, all your eggs will still be blue. (the result is the same regardless of which parent is which) However, some of those blue eggs might be lighter. (think of mixing white paint with blue paint- you'll always get lighter blue). See below for the basic Punnett Square. The hen's gene is bold and the rooster's is in italic. Each chick can either get Blue+Blue or Blue+White. So, all the eggs will be blue, but the pullet has a 50% chance of the lighter blue and 50% of the 'bluer'

Hen Blue Blue

Rooster
Blue Blue+Blue Blue+Blue

White Blue+White Blue+White

Third: Now let's say both parents have a copy of each gene, one blue and one white. Now each chick has a 25% chance of being a double copy for blue, a 50% chance for a carrier of each, and a 25% chance of carrying only white. Of the pullets, 25% lay 'bluer' eggs, 50% lay lighter blue, and 25% lay white eggs.

Hen Blue White

Rooster
Blue Blue+Blue White+Blue

White Blue+White White+White

Fourth: This scenario would apply to a blue laying hen with a copy of white and blue, and the rooster that is 100% white egg genes. Of course the rooster doesn't lay eggs so maybe somewhere along the lines he was the result of scenario #3 above and only carries white egg genes. In this case, 50% of the pullets would lay lighter blue eggs, carrying a copy of blue and white, and 50% would lay white eggs, carrying only white egg genes.

Hen Blue White

Rooster

Hi! I just found this thread. I hatched two SBEL from MPC in early Feb, one pullet and one cockerel. Here they are:

They are both white with black flecks. I also hatched a SCEL cockerel and he is also white with a little black except he has feathers on his feet. Lastly, I hatched out three Blue Sex Link as well from MPC.

I realize y'all have discussed this in a few weeks but I wish someone would have come to get me. I'm happy to answer questions about this cross. This is one of my personal favorites and I have many of them in my coop.

Alex
My Pet Chicken

Maybe I looked at the wrong picture? If its not too much of a pain, do you mind taking a current picture?

Thanks!
Alex
My Pet Chicken

I don't mind at all. When I get home from work and have fed the family I'll go out and take pics of her. I'll post here when I'm done. I'll try to get close-ups of the color of her flecks too because now I'm curious.

Update: both our SBEL's have now laid their first eggs, first one at 19 weeks, 4 days, and now Ethel at 19 weeks, 6 days.

wee.gif
yesss.gif

The first blue egg (Lucy's) is the one on the right.
I'm not sure which egg is which between Ethel and Lucy for the other two, but the color of today's eggs looks a little better, and they were both 1.4oz which is a pretty respectable early egg. The brown eggs are from our GLW.

Here they are with the EE's green eggs in the picture for comparison.

And here's a picture with just the SBEL's blue and EE's green. With more of them it's easier to see the color difference!

Last edited:
2.2oz is a nice egg size? I'm newer to chickens - just been in it a couple years, and most lately have been Bielefelders. I did get some SBEL's from MPC who laid early - 4 1/3 months. I just weighed mine to compare with Shezadandy's. Mine are 2.1oz which looks TINY to me, but I guess that's not so bad. The reason their eggs look so tiny is because my Bielefelder's eggs have been 70-85g (2.9+ oz) vs my SBEL's whose are only 60g. I'm really hoping my SBEL'S get bigger - mpc claims they lay large blue eggs. Mine are definitely not large yet, and blue is questionable. Would definitely not buy SBEL's eggs again for $20+/chick plus shipping. Another blue egg layer disappointment. My Easter Eggers look "blue enough" in the right light. I do have hope in my WTB. I have been getting a true blue colored egg periodically, and I suspect it's one of my WTB's. They are LARGE-EXTRA LARGE right out of the gate. Definitely not my SBEL's - I got theirs right after they laid - they are med size and a questionable blue. My very last hope, after the WTB's are my rumpless Ameraucana's. If they don't produce the blue colored egg I'm looking for, I'm done. I really, truly, give up.

P.S. - one thing I can say about the overpriced SBEL's is that they lay EVERYDAY now. ALWAYS.
wee.gif

Last edited:
MyPetChicken.com

MPC is actually a company who sells chicks, started chickens, fertile eggs, supplies, etc.

They sell a chick they have named Super Blue Egg Layer (SBEL). A cross between white & blue layers, supposed to lay large, blue eggs. You can see by the thread that several have bought from them, our opinions, results, etc.

Some members have developed their "own" version of SBEL & those are part of the thread. Hope this helps. Yep, some of these abbreviations are confusing, LOL....to me, anyway....LOL

So it's been a year and I'd like to update about my SBEL, Fluff. She is very sneaky and intelligent. She breaks out of everything! A real bad bully to one hen, but super sweet with hugs. Her eggs are big and very pale blue, almost white.
Egg on bottom next to the olive:

Her egg is the big almost white one in the middle:

Back
Top Bottom