MrStop's Coop Build

Cool!

So what are the foot print dimensions?
...and the nest dimensions?

I didn't realize you already had your chooks!
(or maybe I did and forgot)

Last edited:
Slowly making progress... The build is starting this weekend. The foundation is 4"x8"x16" solid concrete blocks set into 1" of sand and 5" of compacted DGA (dense graded aggregate). Below is the foundation plan I drew in Sketchup and exported into layout. It should give you a rough idea of the dimensions. The run is on the left and the coop is on the right. The bump out on the far right will be storage / nest box.

Slowly making progress.

The foundation was staked out:

Dug the footings and filled with compacted gravel:

Placed 4" solid concrete blocks on top of leveling sand:

Installed 2' of 1/4" hardware cloth around perimeter for predator protection:

The hens approve so far:

Started construction on the coop...

Built the base:

Framed the walls using pocket screws and 2x3's on edge to give a bit more floor room:

And then installed sheathing:

I then installed a temporary door and blocked the opens so the chickens can stay in there own house.

Last edited:
I'm now onto the egg boxes and finished that portion of the plan drawings. At the request of @aart I'm including a shot of the drawings and dimensions. The nest boxes are roughly 12" wide by 12" deep. Build shots to come later.

Last edited:
Nice!!......would make it deeper tho, 16 instead of 11 7/8.
Which would change the 9 7/8 to ~14.

Thanks for the input. I can't go quite as deep due to the foundation. But I quickly updated the plans (did I say I love Sketchup?) to add a few more inches in depth. I based my design on the Spudd Dudd rollout box. It was indicated that it was working with a total depth of 12" and similar platform. However, I can see where your suggestion would give a bit more room. As a side benefit it gives me some added depth to my storage below.

Last edited:
Not sure how the nests sticking out farther are affected by the foundation.....but if it worked for spudd dudd<shrugs>
I just see the egg dropping from a standing chicken(they do stand when the egg emerges) all they way down into the trough rather than hitting the slope and rolling into the trough.

that's the size I used on my first 'exterior' nest boxes, and yeah they were too small. my larger hens wouldn't use them at all. I understand they like a cozy snuggly place to lay, but if it's too tight they just won't use it.

looking great though! I'm with you in the 'I love sketchup' crew.....

Back
Top Bottom