MrStop's Coop Build

Not sure how the nests sticking out farther are affected by the foundation.....but if it worked for spudd dudd<shrugs>
I just see the egg dropping from a standing chicken(they do stand when the egg emerges) all they way down into the trough rather than hitting the slope and rolling into the trough

Good point on on the egg dropping straight into the trough and I didn't consider that. If I do find that happening and the eggs are breaking, I think I can modify the current design by adding another "ramp" above to block a straight shot down the slot.

that's the size I used on my first 'exterior' nest boxes, and yeah they were too small. my larger hens wouldn't use them at all. I understand they like a cozy snuggly place to lay, but if it's too tight they just won't use it.

looking great though! I'm with you in the 'I love sketchup' crew.....

Do think my width (12") is too small, or depth (~14") as well?

You can get some of that rubberized shelving....it comes on a long roll and is easy to cut. Has kind of a waffle look to it. Staple it down well to the bottom of your nest boxes, inside and out. Also pick up some of that gray pipe insulation stuff - it's a foam tube with a split lengthwise down the middle. Cut it in half lengthwise, following the manufacturer's cut, down the other side. Then at the back of the collection portion of the roll out, tuck it in tightly, cut side down.

You can still go ahead and use nesting material in your roll out nest boxes, but be careful of depth because they'll scratch up a depression in it to lay and that can keep the eggs from rolling out. But the rubberized shelving material pads the eggs as they drop out, and that foam at the very back of the roll out portion of the boxes keeps them from breaking when they hit the back.

Did you change that drawing?!? Oh, nice details drawings by the way<thumbsup>

Do you have plans for any cushioning?
Make sure you leave room for that, maybe you did.
And be careful of any foamy type stuff they may peck it apart and eat it.

aart, the foam that I used was outside against the back of the boxes. My girls didn't have access to it. I initially tried to protect all the way around with foam - big mistake! They pecked that stuff they could reach to shreds. But the foam outside kept the eggs from breaking. I'll peruse my photos and see if I can find pictures of the old set-up.

aart, the foam that I used was outside against the back of the boxes. My girls didn't have access to it. I initially tried to protect all the way around with foam - big mistake! They pecked that stuff they could reach to shreds. But the foam outside kept the eggs from breaking. I'll peruse my photos and see if I can find pictures of the old set-up.
Would love to see a thread with your roll away nests...you could link it here?

Truth be told I did away with them months ago. They worked. The girls used them. But what worked great when I had 6 layers using them stopped working so well when I had 20. It ended up being easier to use the plastic nests that screw into the wall and closing off the opening outside the coop rather than those scrawny 3 wood ones. It wasn't a fancy design, either. We had no idea what we were doing. We just angled the nests on the inside toward the back, and had a gap at the bottom where the eggs rolled outside. But I can proudly add that we never had a broken egg using the shelf liner and foam piping.
wink.png
I'm looking for photos now.

Good point on on the egg dropping straight into the trough and I didn't consider that. If I do find that happening and the eggs are breaking, I think I can modify the current design by adding another "ramp" above to block a straight shot down the slot.

Do think my width (12") is too small, or depth (~14") as well?
for mine it was the height of it, I made the 'floor' 12x12 and I think that was big enough, but I started it at 12" tall at the opening and sloped it down to 10" at the outside edge for drainage and the bigger hens wouldn't use it at all.

My current coop I made them 18" sloped to 16" and they all use them with no problems. I've only had one egg laid that wasn't in the nest since my girls started laying back in june. I do still have 2 ameraucana hens that aren't laying though....so they could be the trend breakers, LOL

for mine it was the height of it, I made the 'floor' 12x12 and I think that was big enough, but I started it at 12" tall at the opening and sloped it down to 10" at the outside edge for drainage and the bigger hens wouldn't use it at all.

My current coop I made them 18" sloped to 16" and they all use them with no problems. I've only had one egg laid that wasn't in the nest since my girls started laying back in june. I do still have 2 ameraucana hens that aren't laying though....so they could be the trend breakers, LOL

Thanks for clarifying (and putting my mind to ease about the width). I don't have the file available right now, but I think the height on mine should slope from about 18-19" to around 12" in the rear.

Did you change that drawing?!? Oh, nice details drawings by the way<thumbsup>

Do you have plans for any cushioning?
Make sure you leave room for that, maybe you did.
And be careful of any foamy type stuff they may peck it apart and eat it.

You can get some of that rubberized shelving....it comes on a long roll and is easy to cut. Has kind of a waffle look to it. Staple it down well to the bottom of your nest boxes, inside and out. Also pick up some of that gray pipe insulation stuff - it's a foam tube with a split lengthwise down the middle. Cut it in half lengthwise, following the manufacturer's cut, down the other side. Then at the back of the collection portion of the roll out, tuck it in tightly, cut side down.

You can still go ahead and use nesting material in your roll out nest boxes, but be careful of depth because they'll scratch up a depression in it to lay and that can keep the eggs from rolling out. But the rubberized shelving material pads the eggs as they drop out, and that foam at the very back of the roll out portion of the boxes keeps them from breaking when they hit the back.

I did change the drawing! Thanks. I like to think through and virtually document the assembly of more complicated pieces ahead of time. While it's a little bit more work, it helps me iron out the kinks and let's me build a bit quicker when I head down to the shop.

As for the cushioning, I'll line the upper shelf probably with nest pads. The remainder (where they can't get to it) will be lined in foam/rubber (@Blooie thanks for the tips).

Quote:
I did change the drawing! Thanks. I like to think through and virtually document the assembly of more complicated pieces ahead of time. While it's a little bit more work, it helps me iron out the kinks and let's me build a bit quicker when I head down to the shop.

As for the cushioning, I'll line the upper shelf probably with nest pads. The remainder (where they can't get to it) will be lined in foam/rubber (@Blooie thanks for the tips).
Ahh.. OK... thought I was going Alzheimer's.
I too like to update as I go along, tho sometimes keep copies of old details for back reference.

Back
Top Bottom