Mt Healthy Hatchery Salmonella Outbreak... AGAIN

Not again!

I thought hatcheries should have tested their flock/or breeder's flock for Salmonella.

Common sense dictates, wash your hands and don't kiss those chicks LOL!

Going through their website I found this in a statement about salmonella:

"Providing safe, healthy chicks for our customers is our top priority, and we will continue to work with our many suppliers of chicks and hatching eggs to ensure we can do so."

Which indicates they have multiple sources for chicks and eggs and at least one got careless/unlucky.

I believe the outbreak was in 2012, and it has been reported that it was over in your link--I don't think that there was a second outbreak, just that your article link was dated in Nov. 2013..

This is my first year raising chickens and my husband and I got 16 Barred Plymouth Rocks from Mt. Healthy Hatchery. What are our options? Should we keep them or get new chicks? I love my little BPR's and would be sad to have to cull them.

This is my first year raising chickens and my husband and I got 16 Barred Plymouth Rocks from Mt. Healthy Hatchery. What are our options? Should we keep them or get new chicks? I love my little BPR's and would be sad to have to cull them.

Given that they are dealing with multiple sources its unsure whether or not they are infected.

If you were planning on eating their eggs you can cook them fully (no runny eggs for breakfast and no eating raw cookie dough despite how tempting it may be) and it should kill anything lurking within.

If you are raising them for meat then its not that big of a deal, everyone should always treat chicken like it has salmonella before they cook it.

Of course you should wash your hands after handling them but that should be a given with all animals healthy or otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom