I hadn't thought about gravel! I was worried it might not be the most comfortable solution, especially for the whole run. But if it doubles for as well then it's a much more attractive solution.
Huge rocks can be uncomfortable, but the gravel allows drainage, and it shifts/can be scratched into a more even surface.

First, I’m curious as to whether your yard has any slope to it. Can the water be drained elsewhere out of the run, or re-directed away from the run?

If you have slope, then see if putting in a diversion trench outside the run to force the flow elsewhere.

If you get blowing rain, then maybe provide a “wall” or barrier of sorts on the side that gets blowing rain to lessen the impact.

If no slope to redirect water, then gravel/ stone as a base will lift your girls outta the mud. My neighbor added gravel to the entirety of his run (15x20 is my guesstimate). He then has been giving them chopped straw on a regular basis for their scratching enjoyment. Of course, a thick layer of varied (non-dyed) mulch would serve similar purpose on top of gravel.

First, I’m curious as to whether your yard has any slope to it. Can the water be drained elsewhere out of the run, or re-directed away from the run?

If you have slope, then see if putting in a diversion trench outside the run to force the flow elsewhere.

If you get blowing rain, then maybe provide a “wall” or barrier of sorts on the side that gets blowing rain to lessen the impact.

If no slope to redirect water, then gravel/ stone as a base will lift your girls outta the mud. My neighbor added gravel to the entirety of his run (15x20 is my guesstimate). He then has been giving them chopped straw on a regular basis for their scratching enjoyment. Of course, a thick layer of varied (non-dyed) mulch would serve similar purpose on top of gravel.
There's no slope in our yard, it's almost completely flat. Though the blowing rain can be fixed with a bamboo barrier fence we were already planning on installing, so that's a plus. Most of the water seems to just run through the ground though, so raising the soil is our best bet.

There's no slope in our yard, it's almost completely flat. Though the blowing rain can be fixed with a bamboo barrier fence we were already planning on installing, so that's a plus. Most of the water seems to just run through the ground though, so raising the soil is our best bet.

We live in fairly flat farming country. Add in clay soil and often wet OH climate, and our yard is definitely soggy. But, we converted a dog run into chicken run. It is on east side of a barn building, so protected from much of the blowing wind. We are in the process of adding a roof, which will help. It looks like yours has a roof, so that is good. Since a previous owner put in this dog run, they elevated the ground a little bit and added sand then covered the area with pavers. We removed the majority of the pavers, keeping them along the perimeter so the chickens would not dig next to the fence. Just the slight little bit of elevation has helped. My neighbor was in a similar setup with his chicken area behind his barn, but the ground was not elevated at all, and no sand either, so that is why he added gravel.

That’s a great idea to put up a bamboo fence! This will offer not only some rain/weather protection, but also some shade. I was surprised at how hot the chickens get, and they really seek out shade, even in the mornings. Good luck in drying out your run!

Back
Top Bottom